Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu launches high speed Tejas Express
The train will operate five days a week during non-monsoon period, and three days a week during monsoon period.
Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu on 22 May 2017 launched high speed, air-conditioned Tejas Express, a premium luxury train that will run from Mumbai to Goa.
This luxury train boasts of several modern facilities on-board like LED TV and tea/coffee vending machine. The train will operate five days a week during non-monsoon period, and three days a week during monsoon period.
Top 10 things to know about Tejas Express
• Modern Technology: It encompasses ultra-modern amenities like on-board infotainment, Wi-Fi, CCTV, fire and smoke detection facilities, tea and coffee vending machine etc.
• Aeroplane on Tracks: It is India's first premium train that is capable of running at 200 kms per hour, that is it is named as 'Aeroplane on Tracks'. However, due to constraints related to rail tracks, it will run at a speed of 160 kilometres per hour.
• Design: It is manufactured at the Rail Coach Factory in Kapurthala. It has automatic entrance door, a first in non-suburban train in Indian railways. The graffiti proof and vinyl-wrapped exterior has a bright orange and yellow colour theme.
• Route: Tejas Express will operate between Mumbai and Karmali (Goa) for five days a week during non-monsoon period and three days a week during monsoon. It will have stops at Dadar, Thane, Panvel, Ratnagiri and Kudal stations.
• Seating Capacity: Its executive AC chair car has 56 seating capacity and its AC chair cars has 78 seating capacity. There are 12 AC chair cars in Tejas.
• Railway Fare: Executive Class Fare of Tejas is Rs 2680 (with food) and Rs 2525 (without food). For AC chair car, the fare is Rs 1280 (with food) and Rs 1155 (without food).
• Catering Services: If a passenger does not opt for catering services at the time of booking the ticket and decides to purchase meals onboard, an extra amount of Rs 50 per service will be levied, in addition to the prescribed catering charges.
• Safety and Security: This high-speed train has all the safety measures like suppression system, fire suppression system, smoke detection and fire detection. There is also a GPS-based passenger information display system and a digital destination board.
• Disabled Friendly: There is Braille assistance installed for visually challenged passengers in the train.
• Hygiene: The train has bio-vacuum toilets facility in all the coaches. It also has hand dryers, water level indicators and touch-less water taps.