The President of Palestine, Mahmoud Abbas on 2 June 2013 named Rami Hamdallah as his new Prime Minister. Rami Hamdallah replaced Western-favoured economist Salam Fayyad who had left the office of Prime Minister in April 2013 and formally quit now.
About Rami Hamdallah
• Rami Hamdallah is 54 years of age.
• He is a member of Fatah Palestinian National Authority which is headed by Mahmoud Abbas.
• He has doctorate in applied linguistics from the British university of Lancaster.
• He was a professor of linguistics and has also remained president of An Najah National University in West Bank since 1998.
• He also served as secretary general of the Palestinian central elections commission.
On 27 April 2013, Mahmoud Abbas, the President had announced about the commencement of consultations for forming the unity government under his leadership. This had to be done in line with the reconciliation deal between rival Islamist movement Hamas and Fatah. Hamas, the controller of the Gaza strip, however termed Rami Hamdallah’s appointment as the PM, illegal.