Rampal Singh Jatin was in news because he was arrested by Haryana Police on 19 November 2014 from his fortified Satlok Ashram in Hisar of Haryana. He is famous as Sant Rampal and is a self-styled Godman.
He was arrested after two weeks of intense attempts by police to arrest him that involved rioting in which scores of persons were injured and around 5 persons were killed.
He was arrested under fresh cases of sedition, criminal conspiracy and rioting. Rampal will be produced in the Haryana and Punjab High Court on 20 November 2014.
He was booked after the Haryana and Punjab High Court directed the Haryana Government and Police to arrest Rampal without fail after he defied court orders thrice in contempt case citing bad health. His non-appearances forced the court to issue non-bailable warrants against him.
Problem that led to Court order and his arrest
Rampal in 2006 criticised Dayanand Saraswati, the founder of Arya Samaj his criticism led to violent clashes at Karontha ashram between the followers of two sects, in which an Arya Samaj follower was killed. Following the death of the follower of Arya Samaj, Rampal was charged with murder, and was arrested but was released in 2008 after spending several months in jail.
About Rampal Singh Jatin
• Rampal is an Indian Kabir panthi religious leader and the founder of a dera (socio-religious movement), which is popular in Haryana
• He claimed that he was a spiritual successor of Kabir, while some of his followers considered him an incarnation of Kabir
• He was famously addressed as Jagatguru Rampal JI Maharaj by his supporters
• His sect prohibits temple visits, idol worship, untouchability, adultery and vulgar singing and dancing among other things
• Rampal was born on 8 September 1951, in Dhanana village near Gohana town of Haryana's Sonipat district and came from a family of farmers
• In 1999 he established an ashram in Karontha in Haryana's Rohtak district but was forced to vacate his ashram following clashes with religious groups in July 2006
Who: Rampal Singh Jatin
When: on 19 November 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla