Renaud Lavillenie, the French Olympic champion on 15 February 2014 broke 21-year-old world record of pole vault of Sergey Bubka with a leap of 6.16 meter at Donetsk in the Ukraine.
Lavillenie aged 27 cleared the height in his first attempt by going 1 centimeter higher than the record set indoors by Bubka on 21 February 1993 at the age of 21. Bubka, the former Olympic champion also holds the world outdoor record of 6.14 meter achieved by him in Sestriere, Italy in 1994.
Bubka was the pioneer of the sport to become the first man to clear 6 meter and was present in Donetsk, when Lavillenie eclipsed his world record. Lavillenie is the six-time outdoor world champion. In pole vault, the world records set indoors or outdoors are accepted.
• Renaud Lavillenie, a French pole vaulter was born on 18 September 1986
• Lavillenie won the gold medal at the 2012 Olympics
• He has also won one World Indoor Championships gold medal, two European Championships gold medals and three European Indoor Championships gold medals
• He holds the French national records for the highest pole vault clearance both outdoors (6.02 m) and indoors (6.16 m)
• He has been the pole vault overall winner of the IAAF Diamond League four consecutive years from 2010 to 2013
• Sergey Bubka is a former pole vaulter from Ukrain and was born on 4 December 1963
• He represented the Soviet Union until its dissolution in 1991, was twice named Athlete of the Year by Track & Field News, and in 2012 was one of 24 athletes inducted as inaugural members of the International Association of Athletics Federations Hall of Fame
• He has been a consecutive IAAD World Championships winner for six times
• He is also a gold winner of Olympics
• He has broken the world record of men’s pole vaulting 35 times of which 18 were broken indoors and 17 times outdoor
• At present Bubka is a key member of the IOC and in 2013 he lost out to Thomas Bach on the race for President of the organisation
Where: Donetsk in Ukraine
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.