Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut on 8 January 2017 clinched the Men’s Singles title of the 2017 Chennai Open.
Agut defeated Russia’s Daniil Medvedev 6-3 and 6-4 to claim the first ATP tournament of the season.
It was the second time that the Spaniard was playing a final at the Chennai Open. In 2013, he ended up as a runner-up to Janko Tipsarevic at the Nungambakkam stadium.
In 2016, the Chennai Open Men’s Singles title was clinched by Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka.
About Roberto Bautista Agut
• Born on 14 April 1988, Roberto Bautista Agut has won five ATP singles titles. They are the 2014 Topshelf Open, the 2014 Mercedes Cup, the 2016 ASB Classic, the 2016 Garanti Koza Sofia Open and the 2017 Aircel Chennai Open.
• In October 2016, he achieved a career-high singles ranking of world No. 13. He is the first Spaniard younger than Rafael Nadal to be ranked in the Top 20 players.
About Chennai Open
• The Chennai Open is a professional tennis tournament.
• It is played on outdoor hard courts.
• At present, it is a part of the ATP World Tour 250 series of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour.
• It is held annually in January at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
• The winners of the 2017 Chennai Open Men’s Doubles title are Rohan Bopanna and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan.
When: 8 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.