The International Cricket Council (ICC) on 16 March 2017 cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar as the UNICEF Cricket For Good ambassador for the ICC Women’s World Cup 2017.
The ICC Women’s World Cup 2017 will be hosted in the United Kingdom from 23 June 2017 to 23 July 2017.
The ICC Women’s World Cup and other sports platforms will become catalysts in providing spaces for girls to engage meaningfully with sports.
Highlights of the ICC Women’s World Cup 2017
• The ICC Women’s World Cup 2017 will begin on 23 June 2017 at England and Wales with eight top cricketing countries locking horns to grab the coveted trophy.
• The 21-day tournament having 28 matches will be played at five different venues with the final at Lord's.
• The first match of the eight-nation tournament between the hosts England and India will take place at County Ground in Derby.
• India will join the World Cup against the host nation on the opening day itself at Derby.
UNICEF and ICC partnership
• UNICEF and the ICC together will engage the broader cricketing community to empower adolescent girls during the ICC events over the next five years.
• For the same purpose, both the institutions will also develop and implement various community outreach programs and initiatives in collaboration with coaches, cricketers and cricketing personalities.
• During the events, there will be coaching clinics with participating teams.
Who: Sachin Tendulkar
When: 16 March 2017