Sachin Tendulkar on 14 March 2014 was voted as the Cricketer of the Generation by a 50-member jury that comprised current and former cricketers and journalists. To win the award, Sachin defeated his competitors spin legend Shane Warne and all-rounder Jacques Kallis.
Other titles for 2013 in the annual ESPNcricinfo Awards
• Test bowling title for 2013 - Mitchell Johnson
• ODI bowling award – Shahid Afridi, he won under the same category for 2009
• Test batting award – Shikhar Dhawan for his knocking 187 runs on debut against Australia in Mohali in 2013
• ODI batting performance of the year – Rohit Sharma for his ODI double-century in Bangalore, against Australia
• The Debutant of the Year (new category) – Mohammed Shami of India
• Contribution to Cricket Award (new category) – Tarak Sinha, head coach of the Sonnet Cricket Club in Delhi,
• Cricket for Good award – Rahul Dravid for mentoring the junior and Paralympic athletes in India
• Batsman of the Year, Best Test Batsman, and Most Consistent Batsman – AB de Villiers
• Bowler of the Year and the Best Test Bowler – Dale Steyn
The ESPNcricinfo Awards recognises the best individual batting and bowling performances in cricket over the calendar year. The awardees are voted by an independent jury that comprises former cricketers, commentators, and ESPNcricinfo's senior writers. This was the seventh edition of the ESPNcricinfo Awards.
The award ceremony was organised in Mumbai to honour the most outstanding cricketer between the years 1993 and 2013. This ceremony also marked the 20th anniversary celebrations for the cricket website.