Sahitya Akademi on 17 December 2015 announced the Sahitya Akademi Awards for the year 2015 in 23 languages. Poetry and short story writers dominated the awards.
Among the winning books are six poetry collections, six books of short stories and four novels, besides two books each of essays and criticism.
The awards were recommended by distinguished jury members representing 23 Indian languages and approved by the Executive Board of the Akademi, under its President Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari. The award in Bengali is to be announced at a later date.
Poets selected for the award are
• Brajendra Kumar Brahma for Baidi Dengkhw Baidi Gab in Bodo
• Dhian Singh for Parchhamen Di Lo in Dogri
• Ramdarash Mishra for Aag Ki Hansi in Hindi
• KV Tirumalesh for Akshaya Kavya in Kannada
• Kshetri Ranjen for Ahingna Yekshilliba Mang in Manipuri
• Ram Shankar Awasthi for Vanadevi (an epic) in Sanskrit
Authors of Short Stories selected for the award are
• Kula Saikia for Akashar Chhabi Aru Anyanya Galpa in Assamese
• Man Mohan Jha for Khissa in Maithili
• Gupta Pradhan for Samayaka Prativimbaharu in Nepali
• Bibhuti Pattanaik for Mahishasurara Muhan in Odia
• Maya Rahi for Mahengi Murk in Sindhi
• Volga for Vimuktha in Telugu
Novelists selected for award are
• Cyrus Mistry for Chronicle of a Corpse Bearer in English
• KR Meera for Aarachar in Malayalam
• Jaswinder Singh for Maat Lok in Punjabi
• Madhu Acharya ‘Ashawadi’ for Gawaad in Rajasthani
Essayists selected for the award are
• Rasik Shah for Antey Aarambh (Part I&II) in Gujarati
• A Madhavan for IIakkiya Suvadugal in Tamil
Play Writers selected for the award are
• Uday Bhembre for Karna Parva in Konkani
• Rabilal Tudu for Parsi Khatir in Santhali
Authors of Books on Criticism selected for the award are
• Bashir Bhadarwahi for Jamis Ta Kasheeri Manz Kashir Natia Adabuk Tawareekh in Kashmiri
• Shamim Tariq for Tasawwuf Aur Bhakti Tanqeedi Aur Taqabuli Mutalea in Urdu
Author selected for the award for a book on memoirs is
• Arun Khopkar for Chalat Chitravyooh in Marathi
The award comprising an engraved plaque, a shawl and a cheque of one lakh rupees will be presented to the writers at a function on 16 February 2016 during Festival of Letters, the annual festival of the Akademi.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.