Samant Goel appointed new RAW chief, Arvind Kumar becomes IB director
Names of Samant Kumar and Arvind Kumar were finalized by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by PM Narendra Modi and comprising Home Minister Amit Shah.
Narendra Modi Government has appointed senior IPS officer Samant Goel as the new Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) chief on June 26, 2019. In another move, government has appointed senior IPS officer Arvind Kumar as the director of the Intelligence Bureau (IB).
Their names were finalized by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by PM Narendra Modi and comprising Home Minister Amit Shah.
• Samant Goel was heading operations for the agency and was instrumental in planning the February 2019 Balakot air strikes and also the 2016 surgical strikes before his appointment as raw chief.
• Samant Goel, a 1984 batch IPS officer of Punjab cadre will succeed Anil Dhasmana.
• Arvind Kumar, a 1984 batch IPS officer, will head the Intelligence Bureau (IB), the main internal intelligence unit of the government.
• Arvind Kumar will replace Rajiv Jain, who completed an extended tenure as the IB chief.
• Both Goel and Kumar have a strong intelligence background, with Goel first having served in R&AW in 2001 and Kumar having been with IB since 1991.
Samant Goel’s role in air-strike
Goel is currently the second senior-most officer in R&AW (additional secretary in Cabinet Secretariat). He is believed to have played a key role in planning the February 2019 surgical air strikes in Balakot, Pakistan to avenge the Pulwama attack in which a Jaish fidayeen attacked a CRPF convoy, killing 40 personnel. Samant Goel has helped handle the Punjab militancy when it was at its peak in the 1990s and was posted in Dubai and London.
Arvind Kumar as Kashmir specialist
Arvind Kumar, the new Director of Intelligence Bureau, is considered a specialist in Kashmir affairs. Arvind Kumar is also the IPS officer of the 1984 batch Assam-Meghalaya cadre. Arvind Kumar is currently in charge of the Special Director, Kashmir in IB.