Samsung Electronics appointed Pranav Mistry as Global Vice President
He is currently working as the Vice-President of Samsung’s U.S. research unit in the Silicon Valley and heads the Think Tank team of Samsung.
Samsung on 7 December 2014 appointed Pranav Mistry as Global Vice-President. He is currently working as the Vice-President of Samsung’s U.S. research unit in the Silicon Valley and heads the Think Tank team of Samsung.
Mistry, aged 33, hailing from Gujarat, India, is the youngest person to be elevated to head the Samsung Electronics in a recent management reshuffle involving about 350 people.
Mistry played a big role in launching Samsung's Galaxy Gear in September 2013, its line of wearable technology products, and invented SixthSense, a technology that enables users to use their hands to interact with digital information about the physical world around them.
Pranav Mistry joined Samsung as the Director of Research in 2012. Earlier, Pranav worked as a UX Researcher with Microsoft.
The appointment of Mistry who hails from Gujarat in India comes at a time when Samsung is seeing a decline in profits and is looking to turn around its smartphone business.
He joins the list of several Indian nationals taking global roles in technology companies in the past few years. Earlier this year in 2014, Satya Nadella was named as chief executive of Microsoft Corp., while Google Inc. named Sundar Pichai an Indian as head of its marquee Android products division.
His Awards and achievements
• Young Global Leader 2013 Award, World Economic Forum
• Young Alumnus Award 2012, IIT Bombay
• 50 Most Creative People of the Year 2010, CREATIVITY 50
• Netexplorateurs of the Year 2010 award, Netexplorateurs Grand Prix 2010, France
• TR35 2009 award, Technology Review
• Invention of the Year 2009 award, Popular Science
• Young Indian Innovator 2009 award, Digit Magazine
• Nominee for Forbes India’s Person of the Year 2009