India's ace tennis player Sania Mirza and cricketer Ajinkya Rahane were in the third week of September 2015 conferred with honorary life membership of Cricket Club of India (CCI).
As the members of the club, the recipients will be allowed to use its facilities along with one’s spouse.
The membership of CCI is a prestigious ownership which is awarded regularly to sportsmen and eminent persons as recognition of their contribution to their respective fields.
• It is a private club incorporated on 8 November 1933 with an objective to promote cricket and other sports in the country.
• Its contributions to sports and cricket in particular, have given it a unique position in the history of not only India but the entire world.
• It is located at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai that was constructed on the land given by Lord Brabourne, the then Governor of Bombay.
• Its membership list comprises who’s who of Indian and international sport; few of them are-Michael Ferreira (billiards), Geet Sethi (billiards), Sunil Gavaskar, Muralitharan and MS Dhoni.
• The club also awarded the privilege to non-sproting personalities like- John Major (former UK Prime Minister), Lata Mangeshkar, Dilip Kumar, R K Laxman, M J Akbar and Mukesh Ambani.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App