Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty of India on 27 March 2017 won the USD 20,000 Vietnam Open International Challenger badminton title.
To win the title, the sixth seeded Indian pair defeated the fifth seeded Thai duo of Trawut Potieng and Nanthakam Yordphaisong in three games 17-21, 21-9, 21-15 at the summit clash in Hanoi, Vietnam.
For the young Indian pair, it was their maiden title this season, while fifth victory overall.
In the previous season, they had won the Mauritius International Series, the India International Series, the India International Challenge and the Bangladesh International Challenge.
Some of the achievements of Indian sports persons in 2017 are –
• In March 2017, India’s special athletes won 73 medals in the 2017 Special Olympics World Winter Games, which were held in Austria.
• In February 2017, the Young Indian racer Jehan Daruvala won the New Zealand Grand Prix 2017 at the Chris Amon Circuit. With this win, he created history by becoming the first and the only Indian to win a Grand Prix in motorsport.
• On 29 January 2017, the 2016 Olympic silver medalist PV Sindhu and Sameer Verma won the men’s singles and the women’s singles titles respectively at the Syed Modi International Badminton Championships.
• Indian ace shuttler Saina Nehwal on 22 January 2017 won the 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Women’s Singles title. To win the title, Nehwal defeated Thailand’s Pornpawee Chochuwong by 22-20, 22-20 in a 46-minute clash.
• On 8 January 2017, Indian tennis players Rohan Bopanna and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan won the 2017 Chennai Open Men’s Doubles title.
• To win the title, the duo defeated compatriots Purav Raja and Divij Sharan 6-3, 6-4 in the summit clash held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
• On 8 January 2017, the Indo-American pair Sania Mirza and Bethanie Mattek-Sands won the 2017 Brisbane International Women’s Doubles title.
• To win the title, the duo defeated the Russian team of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina.
When: 27 March 2017