The Union Government on 1 October 2016 gave a year extension to Arundhati Bhattacharya as the Chairman of State Bank of India (SBI), first time in the history of the country's largest lender.
The extension will come to effect from 7 October 2016. The extension will help in smooth transition at a time when SBI's consolidation with its associate banks is underway.
• She is an Indian banker and currently the Chair-Managing director of the State Bank of India (SBI).
• She is the first woman to be the Chairperson of State Bank of India.
• She joined SBI in September 1977 as a probationary officer at the age 22.
• During her 36-year career, she held several positions with the bank, including working in foreign exchange, treasury, retail operations, human resources and investment banking.
• She is the first woman to lead an India-based Fortune 500 company.
• In 2016, she was listed as the 25th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes.
• She was named the 4th most powerful women in Asia Pacific by Fortune.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 1 October 2016