Serena Williams Defeated Sorana Cirstea to Win Women's Rogers Cup 2013
Serena Williams defeated Romania's Sorana Cirstea 6-2 6-0 in the final match of women's Rogers Cup on 11 August 2013.
Serena Williams defeated Romania's Sorana Cirstea 6-2 6-0 in the final match of women's Rogers Cup on 11 August 2013. With this, she captured her 54th WTA singles title. The Rogers Cup was held at Rexall Centre, Toronto from 3 August 2013 to 11 August 2013. Serena Williams won the Rogers Cup for the third time.
Some Important Facts:
• This was the third Rogers Cup victory for Serena Williams. Earlier, she had won the Rogers Cup in 2001 and 2011, both of which were in Toronto.
• The top-seed American and world No. 1 Serena Williams won the 8th WTA title of 2013 and also 54th of her career.
• Serena Williams became World No. 1 for first time in the year 2002.
• She is the oldest world no. 1 player in the history of WTA.
• Serena Williams is the only female player who has won more than 40 million US dollar in the prize money.
• She is the ruling US Open, French Open, Olympic and WTA Tour Championships ladies singles champion.
About the Rogers Cup
• The Rogers Cup is presented by the National Bank and is a professional tennis tournament organised by Tennis Canada.
• The Rogers Cup initiated in 1881 for the men and 1892 for the women.
• The Rogers Cup is classified as the Premier 5 event on the WTA schedule.
• The National Bank, which presents the Rogers Cup offers over 2 million US dollar as the prize money for this tournament.
• The hosting of this event is primarily done by Toronto or Montreal in alternation.