Indian researcher Shamik Chowdhury in the last week of October 2016 was awarded the German Green Talent Award. His name is among the list of 25 young researchers who have been honoured with the award.
The award was conferred to Shamik Chowdhury by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research for his innovative approach in sustainable development, resource efficiency, cleaner production and eco-innovation.
About Shamik Chowdhury
• Shamik Chowdhury is currently doing his PhD in environmental engineering from the National University of Singapore (NUS).
• He also holds a BTech and Mtech degree in Biotechnology.
• His main area of focus is creating green technologies based on renewable feedstocks to improve quality of urban living.
• He was previously awarded with the Sustainable Technology Award from the Institution of Chemical Engineers (Singapore) in 2015 for his research on carbon capture using innovative absorbents.
• He was also conferred with the President’s Graduate Fellowship by NUS for his doctoral study and research.
• He has written and reviewed manuscripts for prominent journals and presented papers at several international conferences.
About Green Talents Award
• The Green Talents Award is an award hosted by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) every year to promote international exchange of innovative green ideas.
• The year 2016 saw the eighth edition of the award.
• Conducted with support of Minister Professor, Johanna Wanka, the award gives recognition to the achievements of young researchers from countries world over.
• The winners are selected by a jury consisting of high- ranking German experts.