Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award 2014 announced
CSIR announced the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards 2014 during its 72nd Foundation day celebrations for 10 scientists in recognition of their work.
CSIR on 26 September 2014 announced the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards 2014 for ten scientists in recognition of their work. The awards were announced by Director General of Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) Dr. Paramvir Singh Ahuja during the CSIR’s 72nd Foundation day celebrations in New Delhi.
The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology consists of a citation, a plaque and a cash prize of 5 lakh rupees. The selected awardees in different fields are
• Biological Sciences: Dr. Roop Mallik of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
• Chemical Sciences: Dr. Kavirayani Ramakrishna Prasad of Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru and Dr. Souvik Maiti of Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB), New Delhi
• Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Sciences: Dr. Sachchida Nand Tripathi of Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
• Engineering Sciences: Dr. S Venkata Mohan of Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT), Hyderabad and Dr. Soumen Chakrabarti of Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
• Mathematical Sciences: Dr. Kaushal Kumar Verma of Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
• Medical Sciences: Dr. Anurag Agrawal of Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB), New Delhi
• Physical Sciences: Dr. Pratap Raychaudhuri, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research of Mumbai and Dr. Sadiqali Abbas Rangwala of Raman Research Institute, Bengaluru
Apart from this, the CSIR Awards for S&T Innovations for Rural Development 2013 and CSIR Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2014 were also announced. The two awards were conferred on
• CSIR Awards for S&T Innovations for Rural Development 2013: was conferred upon CSIR-Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology (CSIR-CCMB), Hyderabad and Directorate of Rice Research, ICAR, Hyderabad for development and deployment of an improved Samba Mahsuri rice variety which is bacterial blight resistant, high yielding and possesses fine-grains.
• CSIR Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2014: was conferred upon Avra Laboratories Pvt. Limited, Hyderabad for Development and Commercialization of Irinotecan – a unique drug for colorectal cancer.