The Sixth Delhi Economic Census 2013 was released on 19 September 2014. The economic census was released by the Directorate of Economics and Statistics of Delhi Government.
The field work for the Economic Census was conducted between February 2013 and June 2013. It included all types of entrepreneurial activities in the field of agricultural and non-agricultural activities (except crop-production and plantation).
Highlights of the census
• The average employment size per enterprise in Delhi is 3.34, which is higher than the national average of 2.18.
• Only 3.32 percent of all establishments in Delhi have employed eight or more workers.
• The total number of establishments operating in Delhi has increased from 7.55 lakh during the fifth Economic Census conducted in 2005 to 8.93 lakh in 2013, indicating an 18.35 percent growth.
• Of the 2984850 people working in the establishments, a majority are men, constituting as much as 87.8 percent.
• Women constitute a meager 12.2 percent while the composition of women in total employment is 30.90 percent at the all-India level.
• Interestingly, only 68.70 per cent of the total workers are ‘hired’ indicating that the remaining are often made up of family members or others helping the owners.
• About 1.53 percent of the total establishments in the country are located in NCT of Delhi. Of the establishments, 76.89 percent operate with a fixed structure and the rest around 23.11 percent operate from households without a fixed structure.
• The maximum number of establishment i.e.1.53 lakh is located in Central District followed by West and North-East district.
• In case of employment, the maximum number of 5.76 lakh persons is working in Central District while, 19.3 percent followed by South-East and North District.
Where: All India
When: 19 September 2014
Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana: Delhi Government launches Free Pilgrimage Scheme for senior citizens
Railways Ministry, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum sign MoU to foster tourism in Delhi NCR
Delhi’s Signature Bridge: All you need to know
Delhi Metro Pink Line: Trilokpuri Sanjay Lake - Shiv Vihar section opens for public