Social activist Ila Pathak died
Socialist activity Ila Pathak died following a brief illness at hospital in Ahmedabad. Her death was confirmed by a NGO.
Ila Pathak, the socialist activity died on 10 January 2014 following a brief illness at Ahmedabad hospital. Her death was confirmed by a NGO, Charkha. She was 80.
About Ila Pathak
• She was born in 1933 and was an active member of Movement for Secular Democracy
• She was the vice-president of People Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL)
• She was one of the lead members, who played key role in the movement for justice to the victims of the 2002 Gujarat riots
• She was the former professor of HK Arts College. She served in English language and literature
• She supported the agitation of Irom Sharmila of Manipur against the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA)
• She was the president of India Chapter of Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)
• She turned to social activism in 1981 as one of the founder members of the Ahmedabad Women’s Action Group – AWAG, which raised voice of women against violence
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group