A latest report on Social Media in India – 2013 released by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB International on 8 October 2013 revealed- the number of social media users in urban India is expected to grow by 17 per cent by December 2013 due to the increasing affordability of smartphones and availability of cost-effective data plans.
• The report estimates that the number of social media users by October 2013 will be 86 million and by December 2013, will be 91 million, showing an overall growth of 17 per cent since June 2013.
• The number of social media users in urban India reached 78 million by June 2013.
• Social networking through mobile phones is widely observed with 19.8 million users accessing the websites on mobiles and Facebook was the most accessed website.
• Afforadable mobile Internet plans additionally serve to increase usage levels.
• Non-working women are tipped to be the next emerging demographic segment with nearly 10 per cent of them accessing social media.
• Based on the number of eligible voters, data of actual voter turnout from the Election Commission of India and field interviews, the report estimates that there could be a vote swing of 3 to 4 percent in 24 states – states where the internet users are sizeable.
• The survey was conducted across 35 cities of the country.
The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) was established in 2004 to address the challenges facing the digital and online industry including mobile content and services, online publishing, mobile advertising, online advertising, ecommerce and mobile & digital payments among others. internet and Mobile Association of India is a not-for-profit industry body registered under the Societies Act, 1986