Sri Lanka batsman Kumar Sangakkara became fastest to score 12000 Test runs
Kumar Sangakkara became the fastest cricketer to reach 12000 Test runs. He achieved the milestone in 224th innings played against New Zealand.
Kumar Sangakkara, former Sri Lankan cricket captain, on 3 January 2015 became the fastest cricketer to reach 12000 Test runs. The left-handed batsman reached the milestone in his 224th innings played during the Sri Lanka’s second Test match against New Zealand played in Wellington.
Players in 12000 runs Club include
• Sachin Tendulkar: 15291 Runs at an average of 53.78 in 247 innings
• Ricky Ponting: 13378 Runs at an average of 51.85 in 247 innings
• Jacques Kallis: 13289 Runs at an average of 55.37
• Rahul Dravid: 13288 Runs at an average of 52.31
• Kumar Sangakkara: 12028 Runs (playing) at an average of 58.00
Sangakkara who launched his Test career in Cricket has made an impressive average of over 58.00, which include 37 centuries in 130 tests. His highest score was 319 against Bangladesh.
Earlier on 3 December 2014, Sangakkara became the fourth player to score 13000 runs in ODI cricket. Other three players to score 13000 runs in ODIs are Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting and Sanath Jayasuriya.