Third seed Stan Wawrinka on 11 September 2016 defeated world number one Novak Djokovic to lift the 2016 US Open Men’s Singles title.
In the final, Swiss Wawrinka defeated Serbian Djokovic 6-7, 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 to clinch the title.
This is Wawrinka’s maiden US Open title and his third major title.
About Stan Wawrinka
• Stan Wawrinka is a Swiss professional tennis player.
• He has reached three Grand Slam singles finals in his career, winning all three: the 2014 Australian Open, the 2015 French Open and the 2016 US Open.
• Just prior to the 2014 French Open, he requested and the ATP granted a formal change in his name from Stanislas Wawrinka to Stan Wawrinka.
About 2016 US Open
• The 2016 US Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts.
• The 2016 US Open was the 136th edition of the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam event of the year.
• It took place at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park of Queens in New York City, United States.
• Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares won the men’s doubles title.
• Angelique Kerber won the women's singles event.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.