SunEdison Inc. on 28 October 2014 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Rajasthan Government to establish 5000 MW capacity of solar power in Rajasthan in next five years.
The MoU comes at an opportune time following the Rajasthan's Government new Solar Policy which aspires to create 25 GW of solar capacity in the state in the next few years.
Highlights of the agreement
• SunEdison intends to establish 5 GW of capacity in the form of multiple mega solar photovoltaic (PV) projects, with the expected capacity of each mega solar project at 500 megawatts (MW).
• Under the project, multiple mega solar power projects will be set up on estimate 25000 acres of land in Rajasthan.
• The company will also work with the state government to design a programme for slowly and steady shifting of around 11 lakh electric irrigation pumps to solar pumps which will not only provide power to the farmers to pump water during the day time but also feeding electricity to feeder when not pumping.
• The government would facilitate the identification of the land suitable for the development of solar PV projects as well as allot land on a long term lease in accordance with the state policies.
• The government will also create and provide the necessary electricity interconnection infrastructure.
SunEdison Inc is a global solar technology manufacturer and provider of solar energy services that operates distributed solar power plants delivering priced electricity and services to its residential, commercial, government and utility customers.
SunEdison also provides 24/7 asset management, monitoring and reporting services for hundreds of solar systems worldwide via the company's Renewable Operation Centre (ROC). SunEdison has offices in North America, Europe, Latin America, Africa, India and Asia.
SunEdison already has a strong presence in Rajasthan, with over 50 MW of large solar generation capacity and more than 1,000 solar water pump installations.
Who: SunEdison Inc
When: 28 October 2014