Suresh Prabhu Advisory Group on Integrated Development of Power submitted report to Union Government
Suresh Prabhu Advisory Group on Integrated Development of Power submitted report to Union Government.
The Advisory Group for Integrated Development of Power, Coal and Renewable Energy headed by Suresh Prabhu submitted its report to the Union Ministry of Power and Coal on 22 December 2014.
The Group has suggested measures for enhancement of coal production in the short, medium and long term.
Highlights of the report
• There is a need for improvements in Coal India Limited (CIL) and its subsidiaries including Central Mine Planning and Design Institute Limited (CMPDI)
• It has recommended opening up of the coal sector and upgradation of Coal India Limited (CIL) and its subsidiaries. This will increase domestic production of the dry fuel.
• It also mentioned the issues of coal block auction Process, coal linkage rationalisation and swapping of coal linkages and stressed on the need for urgent action on coal linkages to power plants already commissioned and likely to be commissioned by March 2015.
• It also suggested that various options should be explored to develop Railway infrastructure from coal mines to main Railway system, including through a JV company on infrastructure by CIL.
• The report also called for expediting reforms in the distribution sector of coal with targeted actions, including public-private partnership in distribution of coal.
• It called for separation of Carriage and Content in the Distribution license
• It also called for restricting the authority of the State Governments to issue directive to prevent Open Access
• To set up a mechanism for review of performance of Regulatory Commissions through Forum of Regulators
• It also suggested a need for enhanced role of and improvements in working of CEA (Central Electricity Authority), amendments to Electricity Act, tariff policy and standard bidding documents.
• It also recommended the measures in respect of Renewable Energy like Green Transmission Corridors, Incentivizing Renewable Capacity Addition, Coal-based Generating Companies to be obligated to also set up Renewable Power generation, Priority in purchase of Renewable Power by Distribution Utilities, Improving the functioning of Solar Corporation and IREDA.
About Suresh Prabhu Advisory Group
The Advisory Group was set up by the Union Government to on 25 June 2014. The Group was chaired by Suresh Prabhu, Union Railway Minister. Other members include RV Shahi, Former Power Secretary; Pratyush Sinha, Former Chief Vigilance Commissioner; Anil Baijal, Former Home Secretary; Anil Khandelwal, Former Chairman of Bank of Baroda; KK Nohria Former CEO of Crompton Greaves; Partho Bhattacharya ,Former CMD of Coal India and Vallabh Bhansali, Former CEO of ENAM.