Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 2 October 2014 launched Swachh Bharat (Clean India) campaign in New Delhi. The Swachh Bharat campaign was launched on the occasion of 145th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and is aimed at making India clean by 2019, i.e. 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
On the occasion of launch of the campaign in Rajpath New Delhi, Modi administered an oath to a large gathering to keep their neighbourhoods clean. He asked people to donate (Shramdaan) 100 hours every year or two hours every week for cleanliness. After administrating the oath, he himself cleaned a police station and a scavengers’ colony, Valmiki Colony of New Delhi.
Apart from this citing the example of ASL Ice Bucket Challenge, Modi started a Swachh Bharat challenge and nominated nine people to accept the challenge and inspire people for the campaign. He nominated Sachin Tendulkar (retd. cricketer), Sashi Tharoor (Congress leader), Anil Ambani (industrialist), Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Kamal Hasan, Baba Ramdev, Mridula Sinha (Governor of Goa) and the whole team of TV serial Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah. After nominating people for accepting the challenge, he said that each of these nominated people can nominate other nine people of their choice.
Participations in Swachh Bharat (Clean India) campaign
• The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee flagged off the Swachh Bharat Mission at Kirnahar, Birbhum District of West Bengal where he also administered pledge to the students and others at Kirnahar Shib Chandra High School and joining hands with the students of the school in cleanliness drive
• Sudarshan Bhagat, the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment on 2 October 2014 launched the Swachhta Udyami Yojana - Swachhta Se Sampannta Ki Aur of National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation, at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi
• Union Minister of Rural Development and Drinking Water and Sanitation Nitin Gadkari announced that 20 lakh rupees will be given to every village in the country per annum to achieve the goal of clean India by 2 October 2019
• Ircon International Limited (IRCON) pledged commitment towards cleanliness and thereby realize Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi’s dream of Clean India
• Union Minister for Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar administered Swachh Bharat Pledge to officials of the ministry and also released Audio Track Swachh Bharat ka Irada Kar liya hum ne composed by Shri Prasoon Joshi which is specially prepared for Swachh Bharat Mission
• Swachh Bharat Karyakram (Clean India Programme), a cleanliness drive was conducted at all Army establishments and formations from 25 September 14 to 2 October 2014
• Indian Navy and Indian Air Force also launched Swachh Bharat Campaign and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, respectively
• President Pranab Mukherjee on 4 October 2014 flagged off the Swachh Bharat Run that show participation of around 1500 people. Participants in the run included officers and staff of the Secretariat, the President`s Body Guard, Army Guard and Delhi Police as well as their families
• Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar who accepted Prime Minister Narendra Modi's nomination as one of the ambassadors of Swachh Bharat campaign, swept a road in Mumbai with a broom in hand on 5 October 2014
Where: in New Delhi
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.