Tarun Gogoi, the Chief Minister of Assam resigned
Tarun Gagoi, Chief Minister of Assam resigned due to abysmal performance of Congress in the state in the 16th Lok Sabha elections.
Tarun Gogoi, the three-time Chief Minister of Assam resigned from his office on 16 May 2014. He resigned taking the responsibility of dismal performance of Congress in the state in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Earlier during the 16th Lok Sabha elections he claimed that in case Congress fails to win at least 7 seats in the election then he would resign from the post. Congress was successful only in securing only 3 seats out of 14 in Assam.
The winner party of the Lok Sabha elections 2014, BJP garnered 7 seats in Assam.
About Tarun Gogoi
• As a member of Indian National Congress Tarun Gogoi served Assam as its Chief Minister three consecutive times since 2001
• He was born on 1 April 1936
• He served six terms as a Member of Parliament (MP) from Lok Sabha
• He was elected as Joint Secretary of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) in 1976 under Prime Minister Indira Gandhi
• Under former Prime Minister PV Narshimha Rao he served as Union Minister of State in the Food and Food Processing Industry departments (1991–96)