Tata Medical Centre of Kolkata to Start Bio-Bank to Store Cancer Tissues
Tata Medical Centre of Kolkata on 24 August 2013 announced the setting up of a bio-bank to help the cancer patients and research in the discipline.
Tata Medical Centre (TMC) of Kolkata on 24 August 2013 announced the setting up of a bio-bank that will store tissues of cancer patients for furthering research in the discipline.
The Tata Translational Cancer Research Centre (TTCRC) will be set up near the existing Tata Medical Centre-Cancer Hospital in Kolkata. The TTCRC will facilitate the bio-bank with an estimated cost of 60 crore rupees. This bio-bank will be the eastern India’s first bio-bank.
The hospital has also planned to involve about 20 scientists in the new research facility where emphasis will also be on preventive oncology along with the bio-bank.
About Bio Bank
• The Bio-bank will store cancer tissues for further research with the consent of the patients of course. The tissues which have been surgically removed will be preserved.
• A Bio-bank is a repository that houses and stores biological samples for future research and diagnostic purposes.
• The centre will target application oriented research and provide a crucial link between scientific data collated and how clinicians could use the inferences in their treatment of cancer patients.
• Bio-bank will bridge the translational gap that lies between scientific research and the solutions to these questions in the laboratory.
About Tata Medical Centre
• Tata Medical Center (TMC), Kolkata is a philanthropic initiative from the House of Tata. Its mission is to promote Prevention, Early Diagnosis, Treatment, Rehabilitation and Palliation and Research for cancer patients.
• The Tata Medical Centre treating cancer patients from all over the country and also from neighbouring countries. 70 percent of patients are from West Bengal, 15 percent from neighbouring states like Odisha, Jharkhand and Bihar and about 5 percent from Bangladesh and one to two percent from Pakistan.
• The cancer hospital holds the unique distinction of being the official referral hospital for cancer for the Government of Bhutan.