The Government of Telangana on 17 January 2017 announced a series of welfare measures for army personnel and their families living in the State.
The welfare measures were announced by Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao in the State Legislative Assembly in Hyderabad.
Some of the welfare measures announced are -
• A Special Army Welfare Fund will be constituted. The State Government will provide Rs 80 crore annually for the welfare of the Army personnel and their families.
• All the ministers of the State, including the Chief Minister, will contribute 25 thousand rupees per annum.
• Members of Parliament (MPs) and Members of Legislative Assembly (MLAs) from the state will contribute 10 thousand rupees each per annum.
• The employees of the State Government will also contribute a day's salary to the Special Army Welfare Fund.
• The Chief Minister also announced cash rewards to those who receive gallantry awards.
• As per the announcement, the Param Vir Chakra and Ashok Chakra awardees will get Rs 2.25 crore cash reward.
• The Mahavir Chakra and Kirti Chakra awardees will get Rs 1.25 crore. Cash incentives were also announced for other gallantry award winners.
• The Chief Minister further announced that uniform rule will be applied in paying compensation to the army personnel who lay their lives in the war front and those who lost lives for other reasons such as accidents and illness.
• The Sainik Welfare Boards will be strengthened at the State and district level.
• Reservation for the children of army personnel will be provided in the government run residential schools.
• The army personnel will also be exempted from paying house tax on immobile property.
• Army personnel will also be exempted from paying life-tax on vehicles if they have paid once.
• The monthly pension of the army personnel who served in World War-II was increased to Rs 6000. Previously, the State government provided Rs 3000 as the compensation.
When: 17 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.