Thailand former Prime Minister Banharn Silpa-archa died
His tenure as 21st Prime Minister of Thailand was lasted from 13 July 1995 to 24 November 1996 for about 16 months with Thai Nation Party.
His scandal-ridden tenure a Prime Minister preceded the Thailand’s economic collapse in the 1990s.
About Banharn Silpa-archa
• He was born on 19 August 1932 in Suphanburi, Siam to a Chinese merchant family. His Chinese name was Ma Dexiang.
• He was elected 11 times to Parliament and gained the nickname Banharnburi for his home province with Thai Nation Party.
• He was regional power broker and a master of money politics in his home province, Suphanburi.
• His tenure as 21st Prime Minister of Thailand was lasted from 13 July 1995 to 24 November 1996 for about 16 months with Thai Nation Party.
• His government was marked by allegations of corruption and economic mismanagement which led to Economic Collapse in the country, touching off the Asian financial crisis.
• He was a familiar presence in national politics, serving as a minister in various governments over the years, and became known as Mr ATM for his methods of winning support and securing allies.
• He was also known as the eel for his ability to wriggle his party into coalitions, including the tenuous grouping of small parties that briefly kept him in power as prime minister.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App