8 October: The Indian Air Force Day
The Indian Air Force Day is celebrated on 8 October 2013. It is the 81st anniversary of the Indian Air Force. On this day, various celebrations are organised across the country along with parades at the airbases all over India.
About the Indian Air Force
• The Indian Air Force is the air arm of Indian armed forces.
• The primary responsibility of Indian Air Force is to keep the Indian airspace protected as well as conduct aerial warfare during the wars.
• The Indian Air Force was officially established on 8 October 1932 as an auxiliary air force of the British Empire. Therefore, every year 8 October is celebrated as the Indian Air Force Day.
• After the independence of India in the year 1947, the Royal Indian Air Force served India and the word Royal was thereafter dropped after India became Republic in the year 1950.
• After the year 1947, the Indian Air Force has been involved in four major wars, two of which included the wars with Pakistan and China.
• The major operations of IAF include Operation Poomalai, Operation Cactus, Operation Meghdoot and Operation Vijay.
• It is important to note that at present, the President of India Pranab Mukherjee serves as the ex-officio Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Air Force.
• The Air Force is commanded by the Air Chief Marshal (ACM), who is the four-star commander and the Chief of Air Staff.