Time Magazine on 20 November 2014 released list of 25 Best Inventions 2014. Mangalyaan has been named among the best inventions of 2014 which described it as a technological feat that will allow India to flex its interplanetary muscles.
The list also includes two inventions of Indians for developing an exercise space for prisoners in solitary confinement called Blue Room and a tablet toy for kids called Osmo.
List of 25 Best Inventions 2014
• The Real-Life Hoverboard- a type of skateboard that levitates like a magic carpet
• The Supersmart Spacecraft- Mangalyaan went into orbit around the Red Planet, a technological feat by ISRO of India
• A Reactor that Could Realize Nuclear Fusion - nuclear fusion reactors small enough to fit on the back of a truck and the design uses magnetic mirror confinement to control the reaction
• Wireless Electricity- Witricity is a technology that involves a plug-in coil that creates a magnetic field, which in turn powers objects as far away as 8 feet
• 3-D-Printed Everything- 3-D printer devices that can build objects from digital blueprints, usually by layering plastic or other materials
• Watches that Redefine Smart- Apple’s Watch reimagines the computer for the wrist, using a novel interface that combines a touch screen and physical buttons
• The Smartphone that Puts Privacy First- smartphone designed to put data privacy with software that encrypts calls, texts and browsing history at levels far beyond normal smartphones
• The Cooler that Powers Your Party- world’s smartest all-purpose party cooler which stores food and drinks. It also touts a blender, an LED lid light, a USB charger, a Bluetooth speaker and big wheels designed to navigate many terrains.
• The Chip that Stops Your Slouching- Lumo Lift is a chip like gadget can be inserted in their shirt, it analyzes neck and spinal positions and vibrates when they’re less than ideal position.
• The Car that Makes Electric Enticing- BMW i3- it drives 70 to 110 miles (113 to 177 km) on a single three-hour charge, its novel design allows drivers to use a single pedal to both accelerate and brake which is a more energy-efficient driving
• The Tablet that Replaces Laptops- Microsoft Surface Pro 3- Microsoft’s latest hybrid bundles the power of a laptop into a svelte 12-in. tablet and can run desktop apps like Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• The Pillbox that Gets Personal
• Bananas that Prevent Blindness- developing a vitamin-A-enriched superbanana
• The Wheel that Gives Bikers a Boost- Copenhagen Wheel is a standard-size wheel which can be attached to the back of most bicycles—that boasts a rechargeable, battery-powered motor
• The Seamless Sign-Language Translator- MotionSavvy uni is a tablet and attachment that leverages motion-sensing cameras and voice recognition to translate American Sign Language into spoken words—and spoken words into text—in real time for deaf people
• The Filter that Fights Ebola- Hemopurifier is a specially designed cartridge that attaches to a dialysis machine, can tip the balance back in the body’s favour: its lectin filter attracts Ebola viruses and sucks them from the blood as it flows through.
• The Selfie Stick- the selfie stick enables users to position their smartphone beyond arms’ reach to get better photo angles
• The AC that Lowers Your Energy Bills- Quirky + GE aros is a provocative departure from the familiar window unit. For one thing, it’s elegant, with a sleek white exterior that’s almost Apple-esque.
• The Prison Room that Helps Inmates Relax- Blue Room is an exercise space where a projector plays video of open deserts, streaming waterfalls and other outdoor scenes
• The Tablet Toy that Gets Physical– Osmo is a virtual play and its reflective AI attachment enables the iPad camera to interpret physical objects—allowing kids to mimic an onscreen pattern with colored tiles, for example, and get rewarded for doing it correctly
• The Coaching Basketball– 94fifty smart sensor comes embedded with nine sensors and a Bluetooth chip that sends performance data to a mobile app—allowing players to measure, say, the arc of their jumpshot
• Wrappers You Can Eat- Wikipearls is a paired shell is made of particles of dried fruit or other natural substances that are tiny enough to be electrically attracted to one another; they are combined with calcium and sugar to strengthen the form
• Screens that Showcase Digital Art- Electric object contains flat screens are wired specifically to display art. Their brightness dims in tandem with sunlight, and their matte finish blocks glare so they resemble actual paintings.
• Action Figures that Empower Girls- IAmelemental is women figures designed and commissioned to build series of action figures, meant to portray women as heroes with strong personalities. Each figure embodies a different element of heroism, like persistence or honesty
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla