Top 10 Current Affairs of 2013 : Events of Impact
Jagranjosh.com brings you the top ten breaking current affairs of the Year 2013 from India and the World that reshaped India and the World in many ways.
Lokpal, the Indian Ombudsman, a reality now
• Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill, 2013 was passed by the Lok Sabha on 18 December 2013 after the Rajya Sabha passed it on 17 December 2013 with some amendments.
Hungry Millions to have Food Security
India successfully Launched Mangalyaan
• India's premier space agency, ISRO, successfully launched its historic Mangalyaan (Mars Mission) from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, on 5 November 2013.
||Telangana to be the 29th State of India
• The Union Cabinet approved the creation of Telangana as a separate State on 5 December 2013.
• The 29th State of India will comprise of 10 districts whereas Andhra Pradesh will have 13 districts.
• Hyderabad will be the common capital for Andhra Pradesh and Telangana for a period of 10 year.
9th WTO Ministerial Conference
COP-19 paved way for new global climate treaty
• The COP-19, UN Climate Change Conference 2013 concluded in Warsaw, Poland on 23 November 2013.
||Syria nodded to join Chemical Weapons Convention
• Syria officially joined the United Nations Chemical Weapons Convention, which outlaws production and use of chemical weapons, on 14 October 2013.
• Syria is the 190th country to join the convention. Only six states have yet to sign the international treaty.
• The move comes as international inspectors are working to destroy the chemical weapon stockpile of the Assad regime in Syria.
||Iran and P5 +1 reached agreement on Geneva Plan
• Iran and P5+1 group of Nations reached a breakthrough deal to curb Iran's nuclear programme in exchange for limited sanctions relief on 24 November 2013.
• An agreement to this effect was signed at UN Headquarters in Geneva between the Chief negotiator for the six nations, Catherine Marie Ashton and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Jawad Zarief.
• The interim deal for six months is intended to give time and space to the international community to work towards a comprehensive agreement.
Land Acquisition Bill, 2011 passed by the Lok Sabha
Raghuram Rajan the youngest RBI Governor