1 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Startup India Yatra, Assam-NRC Draft and Aadhaar linking among others.
1. Which country was designated as a nodal centre for preparing flash-flood forecasts by the World Meteorological Organization?
b) Sri Lanka
2. The Startup India Yatra was launched in which state on July 30?
3. Which Indian state has become the first one to implement biofuel policy?
4. The tiger population in the reputed Mudumalai Tiger Reserve (MTR) doubled to 60 from 30. Where is the reserve located?
b) Tamil Nadu
d) Andhra Pradesh
5. The Health Ministry signed MoU with the Ministry of Electronics recently to boost which Mission?
a) Swachh Bharat Mission
b) Startup Mission
c) Ayushman Bharat Mission
d) All of the above
6. Which institution recently ruled that Assam-NRC Draft cannot be basis of any action?
a) Prime Minister
b) Election Commission
d) Supreme Court
7. Which body on July 31, 2018 passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018?
a) Rajya Sabha
b) Lok Sabha
8. Which state government has approved a proposal to remove mandatory linking of Aadhaar with bank accounts to avail social welfare benefits?
b) Madhya Pradesh
9. ‘Bandicoot’, the robotic scavenger tasked with cleaning the sewers of a temple town in Tamil Nadu, is a product of a start-up based in which state?
10. Which Indian city, known as the walled city, has been proposed for UNESCO World Heritage tag?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) India
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has designated India as a nodal centre for preparing flash-flood forecasts to Asian nations including Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Thailand. That means the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) under Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) will have to develop a customized weather model that can issue advance warning of floods.
2. (c) Chhattisgarh
The Startup India Yatra was launched on July 30, 2018 in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. Students queued up in large numbers to register for the first boot camp at Raipur. The yatra travelled to Bilaspur for the second boot camp at the Government Engineering College in Bilaspur on July 31.
3. (c) Rajasthan
Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to implement National Policy on Biofuels unveiled by Union Government in May 2018. Its implementation was approved by high-power Biofuel Authority. It was also decided that the Government will release Biofuel Rules, 2018.
4. (b) Tamil Nadu
In Tamil Nadu, the tiger population in the reputed Mudumalai Tiger Reserve (MTR) has doubled to 60 from 30, due to intensive conservation efforts. The MTR is located in Nilgiri District of the state.
5. (c) Ayushman Bharat Mission
The National Health Agency (NHA), under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on July 31, 2018 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Common Service Centres (CSC) scheme under the Digital India Programme. The MoU was signed with an aim to provide information and eligibility validation services to beneficiaries of the Ayushman Bharat-National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM), especially in remote areas.
6. (d) Supreme Court
The Supreme Court on July 31, 2018 ruled that the National Register of Citizens (NRC) prepared for State of Assam was only a draft, and hence it cannot be the basis of any action by any authority against anyone. A bench of Justices Ranjan Gogoi and R F Nariman observed that what has been published is only the Complete Draft NRC.
7. (b) Lok Sabha
Lok Sabha on July 31, 2018 passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018. The Bill was introduced in the parliament on July 23, 2018. The Bill seeks to replace the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Ordinance 2018.
8. (d) Delhi
The Delhi cabinet has approved a proposal to do away with the requirement of linking the 12-digit Aadhaar number with bank accounts to avail the benefits of welfare schemes including old age, disability and widow pensions.
9. (a) Kerala
Robotic scavenger 'Bandicoot,' product of a Kerala-based start-up, would soon be cleaning sewers in the temple town of Kumbakonam in neighbouring Tamil Nadu. The product was handed over to Kumbakonam Municipality by the Indian Oil Corporation as part of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
10. (b) Jaipur
The site namely “The Walled City of Jaipur, Rajasthan, India” has been proposed for World Heritage. As per Operation Guidelines 2017, only one site can be nominated by the state party each year. The recognition of World Heritage is a matter of great pride.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week