14 June 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as PMAY-U, Nikkei Asia Prize 2018 and Solar Charkha Mission among others.
1. The Union Cabinet has approved which bank’s proposal to raise additional share capital worth Rs 24000 crore?
2. Which country has cleared the sale of six Apache attack helicopters to India for $ 930M?
3. Which noted Indian social reformer has been honoured with the prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize 2018?
a) Kailash Satyarthi
b) Bindeshwar Pathak
c) Medha Patkar
d) Irom Chanu Sharmila
4. The carpet area of houses for Middle Income Group I has been increased by the Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs under PMAY-U to?
a) 150 sqm
b) 140 sqm
c) 170 sqm
d) 160 sqm
5. Who has founded Sulabh International , an NGO that is known for its cost-effective sanitation innovations?
a) Kailash Satyarthi
b) Kiran Bedi
c) Aruna Roy
d) Bindeshwar Pathak
6. World’s largest iceberg is on the verge of disappearance. What is the name of the ice berg?
7. Which nation would be playing a test match against India for the very first time on June 14?
8. Which countries have won a united bid to host FIFA 2026?
a) US, Canada and Mexico
b) Brazil, Colombia and Chile
c) Spain, Portugal and Germany
d) UK, Germany and France
9. Which city will host the International conference on ICT from June 17?
b) New Delhi
10. Who will launch the Solar Charkha Mission on June 27?
a) Narendra Modi
b) Ram Nath Kovind
c) Rajnath Singh
d) M Venkaiah Naidu
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) HDFC
Union Cabinet on June 13, 2018 approved the proposal for grant of permission to HDFC Bank to raise additional share capital of up to a maximum of 24,000 crore rupees. The composite foreign shareholding in the Bank will not exceed 74 percent of the enhanced paid-up equity share capital of the bank.
2. (c) US
The US government has approved a deal to sell the Indian military six AH-64E Apache attack helicopters for 930 million dollars.The agreement has been passed to the US Congress for approval and if no US lawmaker raises an objection, the contract will go ahead.
3. (b) Bindeshwar Pathak
Bindeshwar Pathak, noted social reformer and founder of Sulabh International, was on June 13, 2018 honoured with Japan's prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize. The award was conferred to Pathak under the ‘Culture and Community’ category for his significant work in tackling poor hygiene and discrimination.
4. (d) 160 sqm
The Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has approved a 33-per cent increase in the carpet area of houses eligible for interest subsidy under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) for the Middle-Income Group (MIG) under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) (PMAY-U) to boost affordable housing. With the revision, the carpet area of a house for Middle Income Group-I (MIG-I) has been increased from 120 sqm to 160 sqm and for MIG II, the area has been increased from 150 sqm to 200 sqm.
5. (d) Bindeshwar Pathak
Sulabh International Social Service Organisation is a non-profit voluntary social organization, which was founded in 1970 by Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak. The organization is noted for achieving success in the field of cost-effective sanitation, waste management, liberation of scavengers, social transformation of society, prevention of environmental pollution and development of non-conventional sources of energy.
6. (c) B15
The world’s largest iceberg – B-15 that broke away from Antarctica's Ross Ice Shelf 18 years ago, could be nearing the end of its voyage. When the iceberg first broke away in March 2000, it measured about 296 kilometres long and 37 kilometres wide but now it has fractured into numerous smaller bergs.
7. (c) Afghanistan
Afghanistan will be playing their maiden Test against India in Bengaluru from June 14, 2018.The one-off Test match is a massive moment for Afghanistan cricket. The team earned their Test status in June 2017.
8. (a) US, Canada and Mexico
The 2026 World Cup will be held in the United States, Canada and Mexico after their joint bid beat Morocco's proposal to host it. The 'United 2026' bid was selected by FIFA member nations, winning 134 votes compared to 65 for Morocco.
9. (a) Kathmandu
The International Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICT) will be held in Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal from June 17, 2018. The Theme of two day conference is “Sustainable Development Goals for Smart Society”.
10. (b) Ram Nath Kovind
President Ram Nath Kovind will launch Solar Charkha Mission on June 27, 2018. The mission will entail a subsidy of 550 crore rupees in the initial two years for 50 clusters.