14 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like United Nations Development Programme, Supreme Court and World Migratory Bird Day among others.
1. The United Nations Development Programme would be setting up a skill development centre in which city?
2. The President on his maiden visit inaugurated three public welfare schemes in which state?
a) Madhya Pradesh
d) Uttar Pradesh
3. Under its new loan waiver scheme, the Rajasthan state government would be providing how much interest-free loan to the people belonging to SC/ST and OBC community?
a) Rs 5 Lakh
b) Rs 2 Lakh
c) Rs 3 Lakh
d) Rs 4.5 Lakh
4. The Supreme Court upheld the order passed by which court while ruling that women can file complaint against ex-husband for cruelty even after divorce?
a) Delhi High Court
b) Bombay High Court
c) Madras High Court
d) Rajasthan High Court
5. Which country cut off funding for a system that monitored the flow of greenhouse gases?
c) United States
d) North Korea
6. According to a new report, which state is currently experiencing an advanced demographic transition?
c) Uttar Pradesh
7. Which was the world’s largest remittance-receiving country in 2017, as per ‘RemitSCOPE – Remittance markets and opportunities – Asia and the Pacific’?
8. The world’s second oldest rock was discovered in which country?
d) Sri Lanka
9. Who was conferred with the 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018?
a) Malala Yousafzai
b) Alejandro Toledo
c) Muhammad Yunus
d) Dalai Lama
10. India signed agreement on cooperation in the field of Renewable Energy with which South American country recently?
11. When is the International Nurses Day celebrated every year?
a) May 12
b) May 13
c) May 14
d) May 15
12. Which Day is celebrated every year on second Saturday of May?
a) World Family Day
b) World Migratory Bird Day
c) World Forest Day
d) World Water Day
1. (a) Hyderabad
The United Nations Development Programme would soon be setting up a skill development centre at 'Bharosa,' an integrated support centre for distressed women and children in Hyderabad, Telangana. The centre would be aimed at empowering vulnerable and marginalised women by imparting skills training.
2. (b) Rajasthan
President Ram Nath Kovind during his maiden two-day visit as head of the state to Rajasthan on May 13, 2018 launched three public welfare schemes. The President launched Sundar Singh Bhandari EBC Swarozgar Yojana, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Antyodaya Swarozgar Yojana and loan and interest waiver scheme for SCs/STs/OBCs, sanitation workers, and the physically challenged at a function held at the Birla Auditorium in Jaipur.
3. (b) Rs 2 Lakh
Under its new loan waiver scheme, the Rajasthan state government would be providing Rs 2 lakh worth interest-free loans to people belonging to SC/ ST community and other backward classes for the purpose of skill development and to create resources for employment.
4. (d) Rajasthan High Court
The Supreme Court of India has held that a woman can lodge a complaint under the domestic violence law against the cruel acts committed by her ex-husband even after the dissolution of marriage. With its ruling, the top court upheld the order of the Rajasthan High Court that had ruled that the absence of a prevailing domestic relationship in no manner prevents a court from granting relief to an aggrieved woman.
5. (c) United States
US President Donald Trump’s administration has cut off the funding for NASA system that monitors the flow of greenhouse gases. The move comes at a time when the world is struggling to combat climate change. The Carbon Monitoring system had till now used satellite and aircraft instruments to monitor carbon dioxide and methane levels remotely, spending $10m each year.
6. (b) Kerala
Kerala is currently experiencing an advanced demographic transition as the mortality and fertility levels have come down and so migration plays a critical role in shaping the future demographic scenario, stated a report that released on May 14, 2018.
7. (a) India
According to the ‘RemitSCOPE – Remittance markets and opportunities – Asia and the Pacific’, India was the largest remittance-receiving country in the world in 2017, with migrant workers from the country sending home 69 billion US dollars.
8. (b) India
Scientists have discovered the world’s second oldest grain of magnetic zircon from the Singhbhum rock at the Champua in Kendujhar district of Odisha, India. The zircon is a mineral that contains traces of radioactive isotopes.
9. (c) Muhammad Yunus
Prof Muhammad Yunus, the Nobel laureate and noted economist, was conferred with the 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018 on May 11 for his unwavering commitment to eradicate global poverty and foster economic and social development.
10. (d) Peru
India and Peru signed an agreement on cooperation in the field of Renewable Energy at Lima on May 11, 2018. The pact was signed in the presence of Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and the Prime Minister Cesar Villanueva Arevalo.
11. (a) May 12
The International Nurses Day (IND) is celebrated every year on May 12 to mark the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing. The day recognises the strong commitment, compassion and dedication that nurses display in the practice of their profession.
12. (b) World Migratory Bird Day
The World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) 2018 was observed across the world on May 12, 2018, that is the second Saturday of the month of May. The theme for WMBD 2018 was ‘Unifying our Voices for Bird Conservation’.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Open Defecation in India: All north-eastern states to become ODF by December 2018
Union Agriculture Ministry launches NCDC’s 'Yuva Sahakar Scheme' to promote young entrepreneurs
ISRO successfully launches communication satellite GSAT-29
India, Morocco sign agreement for assistance in legal and commercial matters