16 March 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as latest report by World Bank, Newton-Bhabha Fund and Indian Science Congress among others.
1. Which company has launched its voice-based virtual assistant for smart devices in Hindi?
2. The number of which endangered animal species in the Himalayan region saw an increase recently?
a) Musk Deer
b) Domestic Yak
c) Snow Leopard
d) Himalayan Black Bear
3. Which state’s assembly passed a bill proposing death penalty in rape cases of girls below the age of 12?
a) Uttar Pradesh
4. Which nation has pledged donation worth $50 million to the UN Relief agency for Palestinians?
a) Saudi Arabia
5. Indonesia has asked which nation to become a full member of ASEAN?
c) New Zealand
6. Which state hosted the Indian Science Congress?
7. Robert Fico resigned as the Prime Minister of which country?
8. World Bank’s latest report “India Development Update - India’s Growth Story” predicted what per cent of GDP growth of India for 2018-19?
a) 6.9 per cent
b) 7.3 per cent
c) 7.5 per cent
d) 8.0 per cent
9. What was the theme of the 2018 World Consumer Rights Day?
a) Building a Digital World of Consumers
b) Consumer's Safety, Our Duty
c) Making Digital Marketplaces Fairer
d) Meeting Demand-Supply needs of Consumer
10. Which Union Ministry won the award for best implementation of E-office?
a) Ministry of Finance
b) Ministry of Home Affairs
c) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
d) Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
11. Which team won the Newton-Bhabha Fund for project on Groundwater Arsenic Research in Ganga River Basin?
a) India-UK Joint Team
b) India-USA Joint Team
c) India-UAE Joint Team
d) India-UK-USA-UAE Joint Team
12. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a campaign recently to eradicate which diseases from India by 2025?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Google
Internet search giant Google on March 15, 2018 announced the launch of Google Assistant in Hindi. The new feature will soon be rolled out to Android and iPhone devices. To access the feature, the users would have to first set their device language to Hindi and then touch and hold the Home button or say ‘Ok Google’ command.
2. (c) Snow Leopard
The population of snow leopards has witnessed a surge in the Himalayas in the recent times. The wildlife wing of Himachal Pradesh's forest department has spotted a significant rise in the number of snow leopards in Chichim valley of Lahaul Spiti in the recent times.
3. (b) Haryana
The state assembly of Haryana has passed a bill proposing death penalty or rigorous imprisonment of not less than 14 years for rape or gang rape of girls below the age of 12 years. The maximum punishment of 14 years may be extended to life imprisonment, depending on the gravity of the case.
4. (c) Qatar
Qatar has announced a $50 million donation to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees. The move comes after the announcement from the United States in January 2018 that it would be withholding aid worth $65m from the UN relief agency for Palestinians.
5. (b) Australia
Indonesian President Joko Widodo has asked Australia to become a full member of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN). The development comes as ASEAN- Australia special summit takes place in Sydney, in the backdrop of China increasingly flexing its muscle and the threat of violent extremism grows.
6. d) Manipur
The five-day long Indian Science Congress was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 16, 2018 at the Manipur University in Imphal, capital of Manipur. This was the second Science Congress in the northeast in the last 100 years.
7. (a) Slovenia
Slovenia's Prime Minister Robert Fico resigned after the country's top court annulled last year's referendum on a key railway project and ordered a new vote.
8. (b) 7.3 per cent
According to the World Bank’s latest report “India Development Update – India’s Growth Story”, India’s GDP growth has been projected at 7.3 per cent for the financial year 2018-19 and it is expected to accelerate further to 7.5 per cent in 2019-20.
9. (c) Making Digital Marketplaces Fairer
The World Consumer Rights Day (WCRD) is observed every year on 15 March to promote basic rights of all consumers, demanding that those rights are respected and protected.
10. (d) Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
The Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation bagged the award for best implementation of E-office on March 14, 2018. E-Office is one of the Mission-mode Projects under the Digital India programme.
11. (a) India-UK Joint Team
India-UK Joint Team has won the Newton-Bhabha Fund for a project on Groundwater Arsenic Research in Ganga River Basin. The Department of Science and Technology has undertaken the project with the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) of United Kingdom (UK) to find solutions to the water challenges faced in the pervasively arsenic-affected Ganga River Basin.
12. (b) Tuberculosis
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a campaign to eradicate tuberculosis (TB) from India by 2025, five years ahead of a globally-set deadline. After inaugurating the Delhi End-TB Summit, the prime minister launched the TB-free India Campaign to take the activities under the National Strategic Plan for TB Elimination.