16 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as REPLACE plan, Global Exhibition on Services and new Minister of State in I&B Ministry among others.
1. The World Health Organisation launched which comprehensive plan to eliminate trans fat in foods by 2023?
b) TRANS HEALTH
2. Which Indian personality was honoured with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan?
a) Kailash Satyarthi
b) Bindeshwar Pathak
c) Har Gobind Khorana
d) Kiran Bedi
3. When is the International Day of Families celebrated every year?
a) May 13
b) May 14
c) May 15
d) May 16
4. The committee meeting of South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN) 2018 was held in which city?
a) New Delhi
5. Which bank was recently barred by RBI from giving fresh loans?
a) Dena Bank
b) Oriental Bank of Commerce
c) Canara Bank
d) Karnataka Bank
6. Which country developed its first aircraft carrier recently?
7. Which state would be providing 2% quota for sportspersons in government jobs?
c) Andhra Pradesh
8. The 4th edition of Global Exhibition on Services was hosted by which Indian city?
b) New Delhi
9. Which digital payment application has introduced automatic recurring payments?
10. Which nation would be getting a grant from the World Bank to meet the basic needs of the Rohingyas?
11. Who has been sworn in as the new Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting?
a) Vijay Goel
b) Prakash Javadekar
c) Harsh Vardhan
d) Rajyavardhan Rathore
12. Which nation moved its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, despite concerns from the international community?
c) North Korea
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) REPLACE
The World Health Organization (WHO) launched a comprehensive plan “REPLACE” to eliminate industrially-produced artificial trans fats from the global food supply by 2023.
2. (b) Bindeshwar Pathak
Bindeshwar Pathak, the founder of Sulabh International, was honoured with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan for his contribution to Asia’s development. Pathak is among the three who have been conferred with the award. Others are Ma Jun (China) & Professor Nguyen Thanh Liem (Vietnam).
3. (c) May 15
The International Day of Families is observed every year on May 15 across the world to promote awareness of issues relating to families and increase knowledge of the social, economic and demographic progression that affects families.
4. (d) Kolkata
The 4th executive committee meeting of South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN) was held in Kolkata, West Bengal on May 8-10, 2018 to curb wildlife crime in South Asian region. It was the first-ever meeting of SAWEN to be held in India since its inception in 2011.
5. (a) Dena Bank
Taking into account the high Non-Performing Assets (NPAs), the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on May 11, 2018 ordered the Dena Bank Ltd to not to issue any fresh loans and hire any new personnel. The move restricts the bank from giving fresh credits; however, it can accept the deposits.
6. (b) China
China’s first homebuilt aircraft carrier began its sea trials recently. The sea trials of Type 001A carrier will mainly test the reliability and stability of the carrier’s power system and other equipment.
7. (a) Telangana
The Telangana government on May 14, 2018 issued an order providing two per cent reservation in government jobs in Telangana to meritorious sportspersons. The move however, will not affect the overall percentage of reservation in the state.
8. (a) Mumbai
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 4th edition of Global Exhibition on services in Mumbai on May 15, 2018. The President also released the logo for Services and launched the portal. The exhibition is expected to witness participation from around 25 Indian states and about 100 countries with 625 exhibitors and 500 overseas delegates.
9. (d) Paytm
Paytm has introduced automatic recurring payments, a new feature that would let users configure the payments app to pay for periodic recurring expenses automatically. Similar to standing instructions for bank accounts, the ‘my payments’ feature can be used for high-value payments for a variety of cases.
10. (a) Bangladesh
The World Bank (WB) is going to provide Bangladesh with a grant to meet the basic needs of around one million Rohingyas who fled from Myanmar in August 2017. As per the bank’s conditions, the entire fund will have to be spent for the Rohingyas only.
11. (d) Rajyavardhan Rathore
In a significant cabinet reshuffle, the Union Government gave Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore the independent charge as Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, in place of Smriti Irani, current Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
12. (b) US
The United States of America on May 14, 2018 officially relocated its embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, upholding the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995. US President Donald Trump did not attend the ceremony in Jerusalem however, he congratulated Israel through a video message broadcast saying that the opening had been "a long time coming."