17 July 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like 'Paudhagiri' Campaign, Sangita Kalanidhi award and Trump-Putin Summit among others.
1. Which country recently announced to launch 300 low-orbit satellites to provide worldwide communication services?
d) South Korea
2. Which organisation recently finalised the ‘Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration’?
a) International Human Rights Council
b) United Nations
c) International Organisation for Migration
3. Which country took the seat vacated by United States at the UN Human Rights Council?
4. ISRO successfully tested the high thrust version of which engine at its Propulsion Complex (IPRC) in Tamil Nadu’s Mahendragiri?
5. Name the veteran Indian actress who passed away on July 17, 2018 and was known for her role as supporting actress in the movie ‘Raja’?
a) Rita Bhaduri
b) Zarina Wahab
c) Reema Lagoo
d) Himani Shivpuri
6. The 'Paudhagiri' Campaign was launched in which state recently?
7. Who has been selected for this year’s 'Sangita Kalanidhi' award?
a) Aruna Sairam
b) R Ramadas
c) K Omana Kutty
d) Kalyani Ganesan
8. Which government authority plans to hear cases using video-conferencing?
9. ISRO has successfully tested a high thrust version of this engine to improve the payload capability of its launch vehicles.
10. Which country has topped the global ranking of nations' soft power?
11. Which city hosted Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin’s first-ever one-on-one talks?
12. The schools of which state are fast becoming digital with hi-tech classrooms, as a part of its ambitious 'Hi-Tech school' project?
1. (a) China
China on July 16, 2018 announced its plans to launch 300 low-orbit satellites to provide worldwide communication services. This 300-satellite array is named as the ‘Hongyan Constellation’. Hongyan stands for 'wild goose'; in ancient China, geese were used to deliver messages.
2. (b) United Nations
The United Nations Member States on July 14, 2018 agreed for “Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration” to better manage international migration, address its challenges, strengthen migrant rights and contribute to sustainable development.
3. (c) Iceland
The UN members unanimously elected Iceland to take a seat on the world body’s 47-member Human Rights Council. US had left the UNHRC in June, 2018 calling it a cesspool of political bias for its criticism of Israeli regime’s crimes against Palestinians.
4. (d) Vikas
Vikas Engine is the workhorse liquid rocket engine powering the second stage of India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV), second stage and the four straps on stages of Geosynchronous Launch Vehicle (GSLV) and the twin engine core liquid stage (L110) of GSLV Mk-III.
5. (a) Rita Bhaduri
Veteran actress Rita Bhaduri passed away on July 17, 2018 following a cardiac arrest at Sujoy Hospital in suburban Juhu, Mumbai. She was 62. The actress was in the hospital for the last 10 days. She was suffering from kidney ailment and had to go for dialysis every alternate day.
6. (b) Haryana
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on July 16, 2018 launched the 'Paudhagiri' campaign with an aim to increase the green cover in Haryana. CM Khattar launched the 'Paudhagiri' campaign by planting a 'maulsari' sapling in the Tau Devi Lal Sports Complex premises of Gurgaon.
7. (a) Aruna Sairam
Well-known carnatic vocalist Aruna Sairam has been selected for this year's 'Sangita Kalanidhi' award of the Music Academy here. At its meeting held on July 15, 2018, the Academy's executive committee unanimously selected Sairam for the award and also announced the winners of various other awards.
8. (c) NGT
Crippled by the delay in appointment of experts and judicial members, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) is planning to conduct hearings through video-conferencing to decide the environmental cases pending in its regional benches.
9. (b) Vikas
ISRO said on July 15, 2018 that it has successfully conducted a ground test of its high thrust version of the Vikas Engine that would improve the payload capability of the space agency's launch vehicles. The Vikas Engine is the workhorse liquid rocket engine used to power the second stage of the ISRO's trusted Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
10. (a) UK
The United Kingdom has topped an annual global ranking of nations' soft power, with France placed second on the list of 30 countries which does not feature India. The 2018 'Soft Power 30' index was published by the UK-based strategic communications consultancy firm Portland and the University of Southern California Center on Public Diplomacy.
11. (a) Helsinki
In a historic first, US President Donald Trump held one-on-one talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin on July 16 in Helsinki, Finland. The historic summit opened with Donald Trump promising an extraordinary relationship.
12. (b) Kerala
Kerala schools are fast becoming digital with hi-tech classrooms equipped with advanced gadgets, including laptops and multi-media projectors, coming up in over 40,000 classrooms in the state. As part of the ambitious 'Hi-Tech school' project of the state government, the Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KITE) has enabled 40,083 classrooms in selected state-run and aided schools to become hi-tech.
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports