21 June 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as 100th smart city, City Award and legalisation of marijuana by a G7 country among others.
1. Which state government has launched its wind-solar hybrid power policy – 2018?
c) West Bengal
2. India has reaffirmed to enhance economic cooperation with which nation, particularly in sustainable water development?
3. Which state government has launched 7-Star Gram Panchayat Rainbow scheme to rank panchayats on the basis of social parameters?
c) Uttar Pradesh
d) Madhya Pradesh
4. Which smart city has been selected for the ‘City Award’ under India Smart Cities Award 2018?
5. Which among the following colonies is not among the seven colonies chosen by the government for re-development to increase green area coverage by about 3 times the existing green space?
a) Nauroji Nagar
b) Lajpat Nagar
c) Kasturba Nagar
d) Sarojini Nagar
6. Which city is hosting Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Forum 2018?
7. Which city has been selected as the 100th smart city?
8. The 13th edition of Industrial trade fair has been inaugurated in which city?
9. Which G7 country has legalised the recreational use of marijuana nationwide?
10. Which IIT institute has developed HRD Ministry’s new initiative of National Digital Library of India (NDLI)?
a) IIT Delhi
b) IIT Kharagpur
c) IIT Roorkee
d) IIT Madras
Answers with Explanation
1. (d) Gujarat
The Gujarat government on Wednesday announced wind-solar hybrid power policy - 2018, aiming to make optimum utilisation of the land and grid.The policy, which will have a coverage period of five years, provides encouragement to renewable power producers supplying to the grid as well as to those having captive use.
2. (b) Tajikistan
India and Tajikistan have reaffirmed their commitment to promote bilateral relations and agreed to enhance economic cooperation, particularly in sustainable water development.
3. (a) Haryana
The Haryana state government has launched 7-Star Gram Panchayat Rainbow scheme to give star rankings to its panchayats on the basis of 7 social parameters. The panchayats will be judged on sex ratio, education, hygiene, environment preservation, governance and social participation.
4. (a) Surat
Surat smart city has been selected for ‘City Award’ for showing great momentum in the implementation of projects under ‘India Smart Cities Award’ 2018. Overall, nine awards have been announced under the India Smart Cities Awards.
5. (b) Lajpat Nagar
The redevelopment of the seven colonies - Nauroji Nagar, Netaji Nagar, Sarojini Nagar, Mohammadpur, Sriniwaspuri, Kasturba Nagar and Thyagaraj Nagar is expected to increase the green area coverage by about 3 times from the existing green space area and the compensatory plantation of trees will be done in the ratio of 1:10 thereby resulting in enhanced tree coverage area.
6. (d) Vienna
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Forum 2018 began in Vienna, Austria on June 20, 2018. India’s Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan attended the forum.
7. (c) Shillong
Shillong has been selected as 100th Smart City after evaluating the proposal in this regard. Till now, 99 smart cities have been selected in four rounds of competition and with this announcement, selection of 100 cities has been completed under the Smart Cities Mission.
8. (b) Chennai
The 13th edition of Industrial trade fair was inaugurated by Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu in Chennai. Prabhu stated during the inauguration that the time has come to bring in new industries that could define the beginning of the fourth industrial revolution.
9. (d) Canada
The Canadian Senate has passed a landmark law that legalises the recreational use of marijuana nationwide. The Cannabis Act passed its final hurdle today in a 52-29 vote in the Senate. The bill controls and regulates how the drug can be grown, distributed and sold. Canadians will be able to buy and consume the drug legally as early as September 2018. The country is the first in the G7 to legalise the drug's recreational use.
10. (b) IIT Kharagpur
The Union Human Resource Development Minister, Prakash Javadekar launched the new digital initiative of HRD Ministry ‘National Digital Library of India (NDLI)’on the occasion of National Reading Day (NRD) in New Delhi on June 19, 2018. The library has been developed by IIT Kharagpur. It is a single window platform that collects and collates metadata from premier learning institutions in India and abroad, as well as other relevant sources.