22 June 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as ‘i-Hariyali’ application, new planet discovery and tri-service military exercise Indra-2018 among others.
1. Who laid the foundation stone of Vanijya Bhawan, the proposed new office for the Union Department of Commerce?
a) Arun Jaitley
b) Narendra Modi
c) Ram Nath Kovind
d) Prakash Javadekar
2. India has hiked customs duty on 29 products imported from which nation?
3. Indian scientists have discovered a sub-Saturn like planet around a sun-like star. The planet was discovered using which spectrograph?
4. Which country has banned new offshoots of al-Qaeda, ISIS under its anti-terror law?
5. Who has resigned from the post of Chief Economic Advisor of the central government?
a) Amartya Sen
b) Raghuram Govind Rajan
c) Arvind Subramanian
d) Jagdish Bhagwati
6. Which city has set a Guinness World Record for largest number of people performing yoga at one place on 2018 International Yoga Day?
7. Which country recently withdrew from the United Nations Human Rights Council?
b) United States
c) South Korea
8. Which state government launched a smartphone application ‘i-Hariyali’ to increase green cover across the state?
9. Which state police hosted the 19th All India Conference of Directors of Finger Prints Bureaux 2018?
a) Andhra Pradesh
10. The tri-service joint military exercise Indra-2018 will take place between India and which country?
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone of Vanijya Bhawan, a new office complex for the Union Department of Commerce. It will be a completely paperless office with state-of-the-art-facilities such as smart access control, central air-conditioning, video conferencing and completely networked systems.
2. (c) US
In a retaliatory move to the heavy tariffs imposed by the United States on imported steel and aluminium items, India has decided to raise customs duty on 29 US products including almond, walnut and pulses. The duty hike by India would have equivalent tariff implications for the US.
3. (b) PARAS
An Indian team of scientists led by Prof Abhijit Chakraborty of Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad, have discovered a sub-Saturn or super-Neptune size planet around a Sun-like star. The discovery was made by measuring the mass of the planet using the indigenously designed ‘PRL Advance Radial-velocity Abu-sky Search’ (PARAS) spectrograph integrated with 1.2m Telescope at PRL’s Gurushikhar Observatory in Mount Abu, India.
4. (a) India
The Union Government has banned new offshoots of terror organisations al-Qaeda and ISIS under the stringent anti-terror law -- Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, as per an official order. Both al-Qaeda in Indian Subcontinent (AQIS) and Islamic State of Iraq and the Sham-Khorasan (ISIS-K), an Afghanistan-based affiliate of ISIS, have been declared unlawful by the Union home ministry as they were found to be radicalising Indian youths for 'global jihad'.
5. (c) Arvind Subramanian
Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian resigned from his post on June 20, 2018 stating pressing family commitments as the main reason. He would be returning to the United States. Subramanian was appointed as the CEA to the finance ministry on October 16, 2014, for a period of three years. In 2017 his term was extended for a year.
6. (a) Kota
In the 4th edition of International Yoga Day, the Guinness World Record (GWR) for largest number of people performing yoga at one place at the same time has been set up in Kota, Rajasthan. Around one lakh 60 thousand people performed yoga at one place at a same time.
7. (b) United States
On June 19, the United States withdrew from the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) and condemned its bias against Israel. The announcement came after the top UN human rights official criticised Washington for separating migrant children from their parents who are seeking asylum after crossing into the country from Mexico.
8. (c) Punjab
The Punjab Government has launched a smartphone application ‘i-Hariyali’, which aims to inspire people to plant more saplings to save the environment from pollution. The app would enable the users to order free plant saplings.
9. (d) Telangana
The 19th all India Conference of Directors of Finger Prints Bureaux 2018 was inaugurated by Hansraj Gangaram Ahir , the Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, in Hyderabad on June 21. It was hosted by Telangana Police.
10. (a) Russia
The tri-service joint military exercise Indra-2018 between India and Russia will take place at Indian military base in second half 2018. In this regard, Russian military delegation visited India to discuss logistics of the exercise.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week