3 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Mukhyamantri Yuva Nestam scheme, Railway’s new promotion policy and Presidential elections 2018 among others.
1. What is the tagline for Geographical Indication (GI) certified products?
a) Invaluable Treasures of Incredible India
b) Inaccessible Treasures of Incredible India
c) Incredible Treasures of Incredible India
d) Involatile Treasures of Incredible India
2. The National Highways Authority of India recently signed MoU with which Bank for Long Term Unsecured Loan?
a) IDBI Bank
b) State Bank of India
c) ICICI Bank
d) Union Bank of India
3. Emmerson Mnangagwa won the Presidential elections in which country?
4. Which state approved the Mukhyamantri Yuva Nestam, an unemployment allowance scheme to provide Rs 1000 per month to unemployed youth in state?
d) Andhra Pradesh
5. The Union Government recently achieved its target of providing 5 crore free LPG connections to poor families under which scheme?
a) Ujjwala Yojana
b) Saubhagya Scheme
c) UDAY Yojana
d) LaQshya Scheme
6. Kadaknath chicken meat recently got the GI tag in which state?
a) Uttar Pradesh
b) Madhya Pradesh
c) Himachal Pradesh
d) Arunachal Pradesh
7. The Ministry of Railways has approved a new promotion policy for which category of employees?
a) Railway Sportspersons
b) Group D Employees
c) Group B Employees
d) Group A Employees
8. The US Congress has passed a bill to slash which nation’s defence aid to USD 150 million?
9. Which state government has got a new tool to identify criminals?
10. Noted ghazal singer Umbayee passed away on August 1. Which state did he hail from?
a) Tamil Nadu
11. Blood platelets have been found to be the first line of defence against which infectious human disease?
12. Which sports team has been added to India's Asian Games contingent after Delhi HC order?
a) Fencing Team
b) Basketball Team
c) Beach Volleyball Team
d) Boat Racing Team
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Invaluable Treasures of Incredible India
Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu on August 2, 2018 launched the tricolour logo and a tagline for Geographical Indication (GI) certified products. The logo has tagline “Invaluable Treasures of Incredible India” printed below it. The winning logo was designed by Adri Chatterjee and the winning tagline was coined by Akancha Tripathi.
2. (b) State Bank of India
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) on August 3, 2018 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the State Bank of India (SBI) for getting Long Term Unsecured Loan of Rs 25000 crore for 10 years with 3 years of moratorium on repayments.
3. (c) Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe President Emmerson Mnangagwa, a former ally of ousted President Robert Mugabe, won country's landmark Presidential elections. With all 10 provinces declared, Mnangagwa won 50.8 percent of votes and defeated opposition leader Nelson Chamisa of MDC party who gained 44.3 percent.
4. (d) Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh Government approved Mukhyamantri Yuva Nestam, an unemployment allowance scheme to provide Rs 1000 per month to unemployed youth in state. The allowance will be directly credited in bank accounts of selected beneficiaries through biometric authentication in transparent manner.
5. (a) Ujjwala Yojana
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's pet project Ujjwala Yojana achieved its target of providing 5 crore free LPG connections to poor families. Ujjwala aims at bringing clean cooking fuel to poor households, identified according to the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC).
6. (b) Madhya Pradesh
Kadaknath chicken meat from Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh has received Geographical Indication (GI) tag from Chennai based Geographical Indication Registry and Intellectual Property India.
7. (a) Railway Sportspersons
The Union Minister of Railways, Piyush Goyal has approved a new policy for promotion of railway sportspersons. Under the new policy, the railway sportspersons who have won a position or medal in the Olympics and all those sportspersons and coaches who have been awarded the Padma Shri will be promoted as officers.
8. (d) India
The US Congress on August 1, 2018 passed a defence spending bill capping its security-related aid to Pakistan at 150 Million dollars, significantly below the level of more than one billion US dollars per year.
9. (b) Telangana
Telangana police is now equipped with another 'powerful' tool - 'Facial Recognition System' (FRS) that would help them prevent crime and identify criminals/suspects at lightning speed. FRS is an integrated feature of TSCOP mobile app for assisting investigation officers for developing effective and efficient services to citizens and thereby improving responsiveness.
10. (b) Kerala
Noted ghazal singer and composer from Kerala, Umbayee, passed away on August 1, 2018 at a private hospital at nearby Aluva, where he had been undergoing treatment for some ailments. He was 68. Umbayee, with his unique style of singing ghazals, had a huge fan following in the state. He had performed ghazals in many states in India and abroad, particularly in the Gulf countries.
11. (a) Malaria
According to a new study, the platelets found in the blood are the first line of defence in patients with malaria, killing up to 60 per cent of the malaria parasites circulating in the bloodstream. The study involved 376 people, with and without malaria, from Papua, Indonesia and Sabah, Malaysia.
12. (d) Boat Racing Team
Boat racing team is set to be added to Indian contingent for next month's Asian Games in Indonesia following Delhi High Court orders. The orders came on July 30 on a petition filed by one of the athletes in the boat racing squad, Abhay Singh against Indian Olympic Association's (IOA) decision to not send a team of the water sport.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week