6 April 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as 2018 Commonwealth Games, institution of committee to regulate online news and virtual currencies among others.
1. Julius Maada Bio has become the new President of which nation?
a) Sierra Leone
2. Which nation has signed an agreement with India for visa waiver for diplomatic passports holders?
3. Which nation is going to allow women to volunteer for national service for the first time ever?
b) Saudi Arabia
4. Union Government has instituted a committee to regulate online news. The committee would comprise how many members?
5. IT department is setting up a panel to examine tax evasion risks posed by whom?
a) High Net Worth Individuals
b) Resident Indians
c) Diamond Jewelers
6. Which government body has directed the banks to stop services to businesses dealing in virtual currencies?
a) Supreme Court
b) Reserve Bank of India
c) Central Board of Direct Taxes
d) Union Cabinet
7. Which country is hosting the 2018 Commonwealth Games?
c) New Zealand
8. Who was the flag bearer of Indian contingent at the Commonwealth Games 2018?
a) Sania Nehwal
b) PV Sindhu
c) Mary Kom
d) Mirabai Chinu
9. Name the farthest star that was recently seen by NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope?
a) Alpha Orionis
b) Proxima Centauri
10. Mirabai Chanu won India’s first gold at the 21st Commonwealth Games in which weightlifting category?
a) 56 kg
b) 53 kg
c) 50 kg
d) 48 kg
11. Which player opened India's medal tally at the 21st Commonwealth Games 2018 by winning a Silver?
a) P Gururaja
b) Mirabai Chanu
c) Sanjita Chanu
d) Mary Kom
12. Which country will host 2018 Boao Forum for Asia (BFA)?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Sierra Leone
Julius Maada Bio took oath as the President of Sierra Leone in the capital Freetown on April 5, 2018. Bio is a former soldier who briefly ruled Sierra Leone in 1996. He defeated ruling party candidate Samura Kamara, who is an economist by training. President Ernest Bai Koroma has stepped down after serving two five-year terms.
India and Azerbaijan have signed two documents for the visa waiver for diplomatic, official and service passports holders and cooperation between diplomatic training institutes. The agreements were signed during the ongoing visit of External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj to that country.
3. (d) Qatar
Qatar would be introducing national service for women for the first time with immediate effect, under a new law issued by the Gulf nation’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. The nation has also extended the time served in the military by recruited men from three months to one year.
4. (b) Ten
The Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has instituted a committee to regulate online portals including news websites, entertainment sites and media aggregators. The committee comprising 10 members will include secretaries of various government departments.
5. (a) High Net Worth Individuals
The Central Board of Direct Taxes has set up an internal working group to examine the taxation aspects of high net worth individuals (HNWIs). There has been a trend of HNWIs migrating from their country of residence to other jurisdictions, which poses a substantial tax risk, as they may treat themselves as non-residents for taxation purposes.
6. (b) Reserve Bank of India
The Reserve Bank of India has directed all the entities regulated by it including banks to stop providing services to businesses dealing in virtual currencies such as bitcoin, in order to protect consumer interest and check money laundering.
7. (a) Australia
The 21st Commonwealth games began on April 4, 2018 at Gold coast in Australia. This year, the Games will mark the 5th time that Australia has hosted the games.
8. (b) PV Sindhu
The 21st Commonwealth games began on April 4, 2018 at Gold coast in Australia. This year, the Games will mark the 5th time that Australia has hosted the games. PV Sindhu was the flag bearer for Indian contingent in the opening ceremony of CWG 2018.
9. (c) Icarus
The Hubble Space Telescope of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has discovered the most distant star ever seen named 'Icarus'. This huge blue star is located over halfway across the universe. It took nine billion years for the Icarus' light to reach the Earth.
10. (d) 48 kg
World champion weightlifter Mirabai Chanu on April 5, 2018 smashed the records by winning India's first Gold Medal on the opening day of the 21st Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia. Mirabai won the coveted medal in the 48 kg category with a total lift of 196 kg (86 kg + 110 kg)with her power-packed performance.
11. (a) P Gururaja
P Gururaja clinched India’s first medal at the 21st Commonwealth Games 2018 at Gold Coast in Brisbane, Australia. He won the silver medal in the men’s 56 kg final with a total lift of 249 kg (111 kg in snatch + 138 kg in clean and jerk).
12. (b) China
The Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) will be held at Boao, a coastal town in the southern island province of Hainan, China during April 8-11, 2018 with theme ‘Open and Innovative Asia for a World of Greater Prosperity’.