Top Current Affairs Quiz: 9 January 2019
The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Ayodhya land dispute case, Ocean Dialogue and Citizenship Amendment bill among others.
9 January 2019: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Ayodhya land dispute case, Ocean Dialogue and Citizenship Amendment bill among others.
1. Which judge has replaced Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi in the panel headed by PM Modi that will decide on the fate of recently reinstated CBI Director Alok Verma?
a) Justice AK Sikri
b) Justice RF Nariman
c) Justice AM Khanwilkar
d) Justice DY Chandrachud
2. The constitution bench that will hear the Ayodhya land dispute case shall comprise how many judges?
3. India has signed an Ocean Dialogue with which nation?
d) Sri Lanka
4. The Lok Sabha has passed which bill that seeks to make illegal migrants from 6 religions eligible for citizenship?
a) Citizenship Amendment bill
b) Citizen Charter Bill
c) Refugee and Migrant Bill
d) National Register of Citizens Bill
5. India released a joint statement with which nation on January 8, 2019?
6. Which country’s cricketing body was announced as the 105th member of ICC?
7. Which country has topped the global index for world’s most powerful passport for the second time in a row?
8. What was India’s rank in the global index for the world's most powerful passport in 2019?
9. Which nation was chosen to host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, replacing the original hosts Cameroon?
d) South Africa
10. Which cricketer maintained his number 1 ranking in the latest ICC batsmen rankings?
a) Rohit Sharma
b) Shikhar Dhawan
c) MS Dhoni
d) Virat Kohli
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Justice AK Sikri
Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi has dropped out of the high-powered selection panel that is to decide Alok Verma’s case as he was a member of the Supreme Court bench that reinstated Verma as CBI director on January 8, 2019.
2. (a) Five
A five-Judge Constitution bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi has been constituted to hear the title suit in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid Ayodhya case, which will begin hearing on January 10, 2019.
3. (b) Norway
India and Norway released a Joint Statement on January 8, 2019 after extensive talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Norwegian PM Erna Solberg, during the latter’s official state visit to India from January 7-9, 2019. The two countries also agreed to closely collaborate on ocean economy and signed a MoU for holding an India-Norway Ocean Dialogue.
4. (a) Citizenship Amendment bill
The Lok Sabha has passed the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill. The Bill seeks to amend the Citizenship Act, 1955 to make illegal migrants who are Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan, eligible for citizenship.
5. (a) Norway
India and Norway released a Joint Statement after extensive talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Norwegian PM Erna Solberg, during the latter’s official state visit to India from January 7-9, 2019.
6. (c) US
The United States of America Cricket was announced as the 105th member of the International Cricket Council on January 8, 2018. USA Cricket came into existence after USACA was expelled in June 2017 for lack of cooperation in terms of unifying the cricket community in the country.
7. (c) Japan
Japan, for the second time in a row, has topped a global index for the world's most powerful passport in 2019. According to the Henley Passport Index, which periodically measures the access each country's travel document affords, Japan retained its top spot as the world's most travel-friendly passport due to the document's access to 190 countries.
8. (d) 79
India secured the 79th rank in the global index for the world's most powerful passport in 2019. India jumped two positions from 81st in 2018 to 79th this year. Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nepal ranked further low at 104, 102 and 94 respectively.
9. (c) Egypt
Egypt will host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations between June 15 and July 13, 2019. The Confederation of African Football (CAF) President Ahmad Ahmad made the announcement in Senegalese capital Dakar on January 8, 2019. The CAF executive committee preferred Egypt to South Africa as replacement for original hosts Cameroon, who were dropped due to delays in preparations and concerns over security.
10. (d) Virat Kohli
Indian skipper Virat Kohli has maintained his number one position in the latest ICC batsmen rankings. Cheteshwar Pujara has gained a spot to be third, following his man of the series performance in India's maiden Cricket Test series win in Australia.