9 March 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as revoking of Aung San Suu Kyi’s human rights award, National Nutrition Mission and 2018 Pritzker Architecture Prize among others.
1. Which state’s government is going to open a 100 bedded Mother, Child Care Hospital in one of its cities?
a) Madhya Pradesh
c) Uttar Pradesh
2. According to a new report, what is the percentage by which women are behind men in pay scale?
a) 30 per cent
b) 40 per cent
c) 15 per cent
d) 20 per cent
3. Which among the following is the latest foundation to revoke the human rights award it had given to Myanmar’s Aung San Suu Kyi?
a) The Rafto Human Rights House
b) Human Rights Foundation
c) United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
d) Equality Now
4. Who launched the National Nutrition Mission and Pan India Expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)?
a) Narendra Modi
b) Rajnath Singh
c) Venkaiah Naidu
d) Ram Nath Kovind
5. According to new study, even 'safe' air pollution levels can impact the function of this organ in a foetus.
6. Microsoft has signed its first-ever renewable energy deal in India for powering its new facility in which city?
b) New Delhi
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
7. What was the theme of the 2018 International Women’s Day (IWD)?
a) Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives
b) Women in the Changing World of Work
c) Time's Up: Equality for Women is Progress for All
d) Step It Up for Gender Equality
8. India’s endangered Asiatic lion population increased to what number as per recent survey?
9. Who was awarded with the 2018 Pritzker Architecture Prize?
a) Zaha Hadid
b) Balkrishna Doshi
c) Frank Gehry
d) Raj Rawat
10. The Union Cabinet approved agreement between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Public Service Commission of which country?
11. India agreed to sign agreement to facilitate Mutual Recognition of educational qualifications with which country?
12. Microsoft signed its first-ever renewable energy deal in India in which city?
c) New Delhi
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Haryana
Haryana Chief Minister, Manohar Lal announced on March 9, 2018 that the state government would be opening a 100 bedded Mother and Child Care Hospital in Panipat, provide free sanitary napkins to adolescent girls and organize free medical camp once in a month in CHC or district hospital exclusively for senior citizen women.
2. (d) 20 per cent
According to a report by monstor.com, women in India earn 20 per cent lesser than men, although the gender gap narrowed down by around five percentage points from 24.8 per cent in 2016 to 20 per cent in 2017.
3. (c) United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum has revoked a prestigious human rights award it had given to the Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, due to her inability to take a proper stand against the ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya Muslim minority in Myanmar.
4. (a) Narendra Modi
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the National Nutrition Mission and Pan India Expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) covering all 640 districts of the country at a mega event held at Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan on March 8, 2018, on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
5. (c) Brain
A new study reveals that babies, when exposed to even ‘safe’ levels of air pollution in the womb, may face an increased risk of having brain abnormalities that can lead to impaired cognitive function by school-age.
6. (d) Bengaluru
Technology giant Microsoft has inked its first renewable energy deal in India for powering its new facility in Bengaluru. The facility, which will be operational from June 2018, is spread over 5.85 lakh square feet. The agreement will see Microsoft purchase 3 megawatts of solar-powered electricity from Atria Power to help power its new office building in Bangalore. This will meet 80% of the projected electricity needs at the new facility.
7. (a) Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives
The International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated every year on March 8 to highlight the achievements of women. The 2018 theme is “Time Is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives”.
8. (b) 600
The endangered Asiatic lion, which only live in Gir Forest National Park of India, has made a comeback from the brink of extinction, with its population rising to more than 600. This increase in the number of lions is attributed to the wildlife conservation schemes, well-trained staff and vets as well as help from farmers.
9. (b) Balkrishna Doshi
Noted Indian architect & urban planner Balkrishna Doshi won the prestigious 2018 Pritzker Architecture Prize for being able to interpret architecture and transform it into buildings that respect Eastern culture. He is the first Indian architect to be awarded the prize.
10. (c) Mauritius
The Union Cabinet approved an agreement between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Public Service Commission of Mauritius for exchange of expertise in recruitment and use of use of Information Technology (IT) for written exams.
11. (d) France
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has given its approval for signing of an Agreement between India and France to facilitate Mutual Recognition of educational qualifications and periods of study undertaken by students in duly approved, recognized and/or accredited educational Institutions within the two countries.
12. (a) Bengaluru
Tech giant Microsoft signed its first renewable energy deal in India for powering its new facility in Bengaluru. The facility, which will be operational from June 2018, is spread over 5.85 lakh square feet.