Trump named as Time magazine's person of the year
Time cover that features a photograph of the President-elect sitting on a chair reads, “Donald Trump – President of the Divided States of America”.
US President-elect Donald Trump was named as Person of the Year 2016 on 7 December 2016 by Time magazine. The magazine cited his role for the stunning victory in the US Presidential election.
The Time cover that features a photograph of the President-elect sitting on a chair reads, “Donald Trump – President of the Divided States of America”.
Nancy Gibbs who announced the name of Time’s person of the year said that the real baron and casino owner, Trump, who never spent a single day in public office, was elected as the 45th President of the US. His election as President.
Trump’s rival in the presidential elections and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton was the first runner-up for Person of the Year. Online hackers were judged as the second runner ups.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was among the 11 candidates shortlisted by Time for its annual honour. Meanwhile, Modi won the online readers' poll conducted by Time magazine for Person of the Year 2016, the second time he emerged winner of the reader's choice poll.
Other contenders for the Time Person of the year were
- The US gymnast Simone Biles
- UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage
- Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- CRISPR Scientists who developed a groundbreaking new technology that can edit DNA
- The Flint Whistleblowers who along with civil-engineering professor Marc Edwards and local paediatrician Mona Hanna-Attisha blew the whistle on the lead-poisoned water in Flint, Michigan
- Singer Beyonce
- Russian President Vladimir Putin
- Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg
TIME's Person of the Year since 2000
This is an annual honour bestowed by Time magazine since 1927. It goes to the person who most influenced the news during the year for better or worse.
- 2000: George W Bush
- 2001: Rudolph Giuliani, who was New York City's mayor on 9/11
- 2002: The Enron Whistleblowers
- 2003: The American soldier
- 2004: George W. Bush
- 2005: The Good Samaritans - Bono and Bill Gates
- 2006: You - represented by the Internet
- 2007: Vladimir Putin
- 2008: Barack Obama
- 2009: Ben Bernanke
- 2010: Mark Zuckerberg
- 2011: The Protester
- 2012: Barack Obama
- 2013: Pope Francis
- 2014: Ebola fighter
- 2015: Angela Merkel