The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) on 15 March 2016 appointed Ashley Judd as its Goodwill Ambassador. Judd is an acclaimed humanitarian, actor, writer and political activist.
As a UNFPA Goodwill Ambassador, the American actress will support the agency’s efforts to stop women dying giving life and to empower women to choose when and how often to become pregnant.
Her appointment is also aimed at generating awareness about the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Agenda that was adopted by the UN General Assembly in September 2015.
The agenda through its Goals 3 and 5 seeks to end discrimination against women in all forms and promote their well-being.
About United Nations Population Fund
• It is the lead UN agency for delivery a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
• It is formerly known as the United Nations Fund for Population Activities that was established in 1969.
• It supports programs in more than 150 countries, territories and areas spread across 4 geographic regions.
• The four regions are Arab States and Europe, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and sub-Saharan Africa.
• Its headquarters is located in New York, the USA.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App