The Union Cabinet on 26 August 2015 gave its approval for signing and ratification of the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) in Civil and Commercial matters with Oman.
This agreement was under negotiation since 2003 and shall come into force on the 30th day after the exchange of the Instrument of Ratification.
Areas covered under Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT)
• Service of judicial orders, summons and other legal and judicial documents or processes.
• Taking of evidence through request.
• Execution of judgments, settlements and arbitral awards.
• Request for reciprocal legal assistance relating to civil and commercial matters submitted before or after its entry into force.
• Service of summons and other judicial documents shall not be refused on the ground that the request does not show sufficient grounds supporting merits of the case, unless the requested State, considers that compliance with the request would infringe its sovereignty, security or public policy.
The provisions of the agreement are in conformity with the provisions of the Code of Civil Procedure (CPC) and the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996. No amendment in these enactments would be required. Further, the CPC does not discriminate between citizens of India and alien friends.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 26 August 2015