Union Cabinet approved ratification of ISA Framework Agreement
The International Solar Alliance acts as a collaborative platform to enhance energy security and sustainable development through increased deployment of solar energy technologies.
The Union Cabinet on 28 December 2016 gave its ex-post facto approval for ratification of ISA’s Framework Agreement of International Solar Alliance (ISA) by India.
The approval was given at a meeting of the cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
What is International Solar Alliance?
• It is an alliance of 121 nations that are primarily situated between Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn launched on 30 November 2015.
• The International Solar Alliance (ISA) was jointly launched by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and France President Francois Hollande in Paris on the sidelines of the Conference of Parties 21 (CoP21) of the United Nations climate change conference (UNFCCC).
• It is considered as first international and inter-governmental organization mooted by India.
What are the functions of International Solar Alliance?
• It tries to improve living standards by facilitating greater access to energy.
• The ISA works with partner countries to formulate projects and programmes to accelerate development and deployment of existing clean solar energy technologies.
• It also develops innovative financial mechanisms to reduce cost of capital.
• It is also instrumental in spreading knowledge about solar energy through knowledge e-portal.
• It facilitates capacity building for promotion and absorption of solar technologies and research and development activities among member countries.
• It encourages multilateral bodies like the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), the International Energy Agency (IEA) and agencies of the United Nations to contribute towards enhanced use of solar energy.
Governing structure of ISA
• Its governance structure consists of an Assembly, a Council and a Secretariat.
• The Assembly will provide guidance, direction and advice to the Secretariat for undertaking the activities.
• Its headquarters is located in Gurugram, Haryana.
• The Framework Agreement was opened for signature on the sidelines of 22nd CoP of the UNFCCC meeting at Marrakesh, Morocco.
• The agreement invokes the Paris Declaration on ISA and encapsulates the vision of the prospective member nations.
• UNDP and World Bank have already announced their partnership with the ISA.
• So far, 25 nations, including India, have signed the Framework Agreement.