The Union Cabinet on 13 July 2016 approved the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) with an outlay of 12000 crore rupees to impart skilling to one crore people over the next four years (2016-2020).
PMKVY will impart fresh training to 60 lakh youths and certify skills of 40 lakh persons acquired non-formally under the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). The target allocation between fresh trainings and RPL will be flexible and interchangeable depending on functional and operational requirements.
Highlights of the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
• It will move to a grant based model where the training and assessment cost would be directly reimbursed to training providers and assessment bodies in accordance with the Common Norms.
• Financial support to trainees will be given in the form of travel allowance, boarding and lodging costs.
• Post placement support would be given directly to the beneficiaries through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
• Disbursement of training cost to training partners will be linked to Aadhaar and biometrics for better transparency and targeting.
• Skill training would be done based on industry led standards aligned to the National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF).
• Mobilisation, monitoring and post training placement of trainees will be done through Rozgar Melas (placement camps) and Kaushal Shivirs (mobilization camps).
• There will be special focus on placement of trainees with incentives/disincentives linked to placement as envisaged in the Common Norms.
• It will also cater to domestic skill needs, also focus on skill training aligned to international standards for overseas employment in Gulf countries, Europe and other overseas destinations.
• There will be scholarship for student undergoing training in high end job roles under the Scheme.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Union Cabinet
When: 13 July 2016