The Union Cabinet on 20 September 2017 approved the revamped Khelo India programme at a cost of Rs 1756 crore for the period 2017-18 to 2019-20.
This revamped programme aims at mainstreaming sport as a tool for individual development, community development, economic development and national development. It will impact the entire sports ecosystem including infrastructure, community sports, coaching and sports economy.
Highlights of the revamped Khelo India Programme
• It is an unprecedented Pan Indian Sports Scholarship scheme which will cover 1000 most talented young athletes each year across select sports disciplines.
• Each athlete selected under the scheme will receive an annual scholarship worth Rs 5 lakh for 8 consecutive years.
• This is the first time ever that a long-term athlete development pathway will be made available to youngsters to excel in competitive sports.
• It aims to promote 20 universities across the country as hubs of sporting excellence.
• It also aims at creating an active population with healthy life-style.
• It will cover about 200 million children in the age group of 10-18 under a massive national physical fitness drive.
• It will engage youth living in disturbed and deprived areas in sporting activities to mainstream them in the nation-building process.
• It will raise the standards of competition both at school and college level to have maximum access to organized sports competitions.
• It includes the use of latest technology in all aspects of sports promotion such as, use of mobile apps; National Sports Talent Search portal; interactive website; GIS based information system, etc.
• It strives to promote “Sports for All” as well as “Sports for Excellence".
When: 20 September 2017