Union Cabinet approves setting up of AIIMS in Bhatinda
The cost of the project for establishment of the AIIMS in Bhatinda shall be 925 crore rupees. This cost estimate does not include recurring costs (wages & salaries and operation & maintenance expenses).
The Union Cabinet on 27 July 2016 approved the establishment of a All India Institute Of Medical Science (AIIMS) at Bhatinda in Punjab under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
It will provide super specialty health care to the population while creating a large pool of doctors and other health workers in this region that can be available for primary and secondary level institutions/facilities being created under National Health Mission (NHM).
Highlights of the AIIMS in Bhatinda
• The cost of the project for establishment of the AIIMS in Bhatinda shall be 925 crore rupees.
• This cost estimate does not include recurring costs (wages & salaries and operation & maintenance expenses).
• The recurring expenditure will be met by the respective AIIMS from their annual budgets through Grant-in-Aid to them from Plan Budget Head of PMSSY of Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
• The institution shall have a hospital with capacity of 750 beds which will include Emergency/Trauma Beds, AYUSH Beds, Private Beds and ICU Speciality & Super Speciality beds.
• In addition, there will be an Administration Block, AYUSH Block, Auditorium, Night Shelter, Hostels and residential facilities.
• It will also conduct research on prevalent regional diseases and other health issues and provide for better control and cure of such diseases.
• The project will be completed in a period of 48 months from the date of the approval by the Union Government.
The Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) was first announced in August 2003 with the primary objective of correcting the regional imbalances in availability of affordable tertiary level healthcare in the country in general.
Under this scheme, AIIMS have been established in Bhubaneshwar, Jodhpur, Raipur, Rishikesh, Bhopal and Patna while work of AIIMS Rae Bareli is in progress. Also, three AIIMS in Nagpur (Maharashtra), Kalyani (West Bengal) and Mangalagiri in Guntur (AP) were sanctioned in 2015.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App